Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

John Steel, Blacksmith in Fyvie

Posted by supasands 
John Steel, Blacksmith in Fyvie
June 02, 2008 07:43PM
Has anyone any idea where Midsummercairn or Mackieshillock is in Fyvie? My husband's gt grandfather was born at the former and gt gt grandfather at the latter. Both were blacksmiths in Fyvie. Is anyone else interested in the Steel(e) family from Fyvie?
Thank you Supasands
Re: John Steel, Blacksmith in Fyvie
February 12, 2009 01:33AM
Hi,

Probably you saw this already, but there is mention of Midsummer Cairn in the Records of the Parliament of Scotland, namely 11 September 1672, Ratification of Adam Urquhart of Meldrum:

"and likewise, all and whole the lands of Crichie, mains and manor place, mill and mill-lands thereof, Bowiehillock, Burngarnie and fortalice of Rowfoord, Cheyne, Crichie, Mckies hillock, Midsummer Cairn, Cromlet, Lambhill, Starbridge, Over and Nether Crichneyled, and whole pertinents of the same, lying within the sheriffdom of Aberdeen.."

I am interested in your John Steel. My husband's cousin found a reference to John Steel in the records of the Parish of Fyvie. The parish register entry reads;

"September 3rd 1782, John Steel in Midsummercairn had a son baptised named JOHN." He would have been the brother of Elizabeth Steel, who was the great-grandmother of my husband's grandmother.

John Steel the father was a blacksmith apparently, and his wife, Janet Jaffrey, may have been the daugher of a blacksmith. I do not have any further information on either of them. Do either John Steels belong to you?

Cheers,

Lisa
February 27, 2009 09:57PM
Hello Lisa, Apologies for the delay in responding. Yes, both John Steels 'are mine' - or rather, my husbands. John Steel (1782) was my husband's gt gt grandfather, brother of your Elizabeth. I believe there were eight children born to John (1760) and Janet. It would be good to share more information, if you are interested. Best wishes Sandra
October 14, 2009 05:36PM
Sandra: My apologies that I missed your reply--would you please email me at lchristensenca@gmail.com, so it won't happen again? I look forward to hearing from you!

Lisa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login