Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Sneddon Name - Origin Possibility

Posted by snedley 
Sneddon Name - Origin Possibility
November 15, 2007 04:36AM
I thought I’d share some information I found in my never ending search of family history. There are a lot of theories and what not for the origins of the Sneddon name. Most are Scottish in origin, but there is are even an English reference to the name (i.e., Sneaton). I am not going to discuss all the different origins, but will discuss some of major interest.

Recently I found in an old book published in Edinburgh (date unknown) some information that refers to the Sneddon name. I don’t have all the information from the book (because I have poor copy of title page), but I will give you what I know.

Ref.: Chronicle of Scottish Poetry: From the Thirteenth Century, to the Union of the Crowns, by James Sibbald. Volume IV. 1802

Below is the description, as quoted in the book.

“Sneddon, Sneddon-Castle, Snowdon, is an old name of Stirling Castle, and so called by the people in its neighbourhood at this day. William of Worcester, an ancient English author (1440), mentions Striveling, alias Snowdon-west-castle.”

“The name of Sneddoun, was probably assumed from the appearance of the rock upon which the castle is situated (viz. Snedden or Snodden). Snodden rock See Sned, to hew down or lopp off. This leads to etymology of Edinburgh. If Stirling was Snoden, or Snedin-west-castle, we may safely assume there was also an east castle (Edinburgh).”

“William of Worcester says that King Arthur kept the Round Table in the castle of Stirling, otherwise Snowdon-west-castle. The fortified hill on the river, was applied by the Celtic inhabitants, without reference to Stirling, and no mention of Arthur or Snowden. At Paisley, we find Sneddon, which clearly is the name Snow-dun; and the origin of the name, is from the Roman fort upon the water of Cart.”

The above is not very clear, but it definitely opens up some great possibilities of research!

Jon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login