Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

SPEEDIE

Posted by carnikis 
SPEEDIE
January 19, 2007 01:45PM
Hello,

I am looking for information on my Grandfather's family. His name is Robert Watson Speedie b. 12 Oct 1884 in Tillicoultry,and died 1945 in America. His parents were George Speedie and Jane Murrey.Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanh you.

Kind regards,

Carol Speedie Nikisch
Re: SPEEDIE
February 02, 2007 11:51PM
Hi Carol

It looks as if your family were living at 9 Commercial Buildings in Tillicoultry in 1881. George SPEEDIE, aged 34, born Milnathort, was a Woolen Weaver. His wife Jane was 32 and was born in Coalsnaughton.

Their children were George aged 10, born in Galashiels, Selkirk and John aged 8, Jane aged 2, and William aged 6 m, all born in Tillicoultry.
Living with them was a nephew William DONALDSON, aged 15, born in Tillicoultry, and he was a Mill Worker.

I've also found a George Speedy, born 1847 in Orwell, Kinross, a woollen weaver, living in Union street in Tillicoultry in 1851. His father George was born in 1812 in Abern May Perthshire and he was a labourer. The rest of the family were George senior's wife Janet, born 1817 and his children Margaret 23, Jean 21, Hellen 11 and David 8. Also named as George's daughter was Catherine aged 76 but I suspect she was more likely to be his mother! That would make her your 3xg grandmother.

Hope this is helpful.

Lorna
Re: SPEEDIE
February 03, 2007 01:28AM
Hi Lorna,

Thank you very much for the information. It gives me some things to work with. My father used to say to people that spelled his surname "SPEEDY" "Grandpa would be rolling over in his grave if someone wrote his name that way" LOL Well, I'll be doing more searching... they are so close. Thank you again.

Regards,

Carol Speedie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login