Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Selleck and sound-alikes: Saxonic /Jewish origins?

Posted by Lee'ad Zelak 
My surname is Zelak - a name my family traces back to a Jewish-Polish origin (we are indeed a Jewish family). However, searching for that name on the web I came across a site called "The Overstowey Marriages" (the link is attched below), which notes a ZELAK and a ZELAKE, and also SELACK, SELACK, SELLACKE, SELLICK, SELLECK and SELLACK - all in the village of Overstowey, Somerset, UK.
Trying to uncover our roots, we did notice that many Jewish and German names are sound-related, as they all use a common structure of the three consonants: "S+L+K" (variants may have a Z, a CH or an SH as the first consonant, or G as the last). The possible origins of these names vary from relating to the German word "Selig" (hapiness), to relating to a Jewish heritage starting with the names "Shilo" or "Shelakh".
Finding the same structure in the UK was a bit of surprise - we never considered the possibility of relating names in Britain. My own guess is that if these names are related, it is probably due to a common saxonic origin - be it German or Jewish.
I therefore address you in request for any information you have, that might shed light on the origins of these names. Any information as to the origin of the name or the families, and especially any information that connects them with Jewish or German roots, would be very helpfull indeed.
I'm posting this message on several forums and boards. If you have any information, please mail it to both my mailboxes - just to make sure I receive it: nvleead@netvision.net.il, and tadoar@mail.com.
Many thanks in advance - Lee'ad Leevneh-Zelak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login