Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

OLGE and ASGILL

Posted by Anne Ammundsen 
OLGE and ASGILL
January 31, 2003 12:29AM
I am trying to find a portrait of General Sir Charles Asgill which, in his Will, he left in
perpetuity to the family of his wife, Jemima Sophia Ogle (1770-1819, whose father was Admiral Sir Chaloner Ogle of King's Worthy). Sophia's Uncle was Dean of Winchester Cathedral and her maternal grandfather had been Bishop there. Does anyone have any information at all on JEMIMA SOPHIA OGLE of Martyr Worthy, or her parents or siblings? The Ogles of Martyr Worthy were a branch of the OGLES of OGLE, Northumberland.
Is there any way in which anyone could help me trace the portrait I am needing to find? Perhaps there is a Northumberland magazine along the lines of "Country Life" in which I could place an enquiry? The information concerning this portrait is:
"I am currently undertaking research into General Sir Charles Asgill Bart (1st Foot Regiment, Grenadier Guards) and am keen to find the current location of his portrait, painted by Thomas Phillips and exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1822. I should very much appreciate any help readers could give me in ascertaining the whereabouts of this portrait in the hope that I may be able to view it as part of my research into the General's life.
If you can help, please email me direct at Arbil44@aol.com"""
With many thanks for any help you might be able to give me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login