Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Threadwell

Posted by Dennis Jones 
Threadwell
June 11, 2002 07:10AM
Hello; I'm looking for Annie Threadwell who appears in the 1881 census living in Newcastle age 23 birthplace Carlisle, Cumberland. Her name is confirmed on her son's birth certificate in 1880. I can't find her in the register of births (or anywhere else). Can anyone help? Thanks. (Will Harry L. Coxon's magic box of tricks work this time? What a guru!)
Re: Threadwell
June 11, 2002 03:17PM
Hello Dennis,
I'm afraid that I can't find any THREADWELLs in Cumberland! I wonder if there was a variant of the name, such as Treadwell, although I haven't found this name either in Cumberland.
There are some Treadwell names in the Rootsweb World Connect Project and some in the Treadwell Genealogy Forum.
Have you searched the Carlisle churches:-
[freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com]
Maybe she was born in Carlisle but baptised elsewhere. I wonder how she came to be a Domestic Servant in Jesmond and whether she moved to the area with her family.
Sorry I couldn't help.
Harry
June 11, 2002 09:50PM
Hello Harry:
Thanks for your comments, I will try the Carlisle church link, I wasn't aware of it. If 23 years in 1881 she would have been born about 1858 but her birth is not recorded in Civil Register in the years 1855 - 1860 inclusive, all I've checked so far. There is no record of her marriage in the years 1881 - 1893 inclusive.
She shows up as the mother in the birth certificate of my grandfather Albert James Threadwell, born 31 March 1880, 13 Lord Byron St. Her occupation was barmaid, father not listed. Albert Threadwell does not appear in the 1881 census but there is an Albert Twidwell age 1 shown as adopted son living at 23 Lord Byron Terrace (just around the corner); surely this has to be him. I have checked the film record and Twidwell is the name written down but there are no Twidwell births in the Civil Registry. Annie is not at her 1881 address when I check the 1891 census. There are a some Threadwells born in London about the right time (no Annie) and my mother told me it was a "London" name so maybe there is a connection there. Currently, I have the Poor Law books films on order for the St. John's parish in the hope I might find him or her mentioned.
Dennis
November 08, 2002 03:44AM
Interested in your search of Threadwell. I was born in Australia and my father's name is Raymond Arthur Threadwell of Hertfordshire. Interesting to note that the date of your query is 11 June - which is my birth date (11-6-1955).
I am ot sure where the Threadwell name came from and whether or not there is any connection. Any information would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Alan
November 08, 2002 07:52AM
Hi Alan:
Threadwell is not a common name so there could be a connection but it would date from way back. The Threadwell name appears most often in the South of England, particularly West Ham. You will have to trace back your father's ancestors step-by-step, keeping in mind inevitable spelling variations.
I am currently looking for a John Threadwell, soldier, who had three daughters Margaret (born Plymouth), Sophia (born Ireland or maybe London), and Annie (born Carlisle) all born in 1850 to 1860. All three were living in Newcastle in 1881. Annie was my great-grandmother. He may have had other children.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login