Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

DIXON/JOHNSON/ROBSON

Posted by Dorothy 
DIXON/JOHNSON/ROBSON
January 07, 2002 09:06PM
My Ggrandfather William DIXON was b.Feb. 04, 1853 in Blyth . Have searched intensely for his birth cert. unsuccessfully. Parents were William Maxwell DIXON b. abt. 1822-25 in Newcastle d. Gateshead 1902 and Mary Ann nee JOHNSON b. 1824 in Newbottle. Recent finds are William's siblings:-James b. 1849, Mary Jane b. 1850 m. 1873 in Tynemouth, Alexander b. 1851 Gateshead, Margaret b. 1858 and Ann b. 1860 but no birth certs. yet. Supposed parents of William Maxwell DIXON could be James DIXON, baker of Newcastle and Isabella nee ROBSON. Mary Ann's father was a George JOHNSON, a miner.Any info. on these branches would be greatly appreciated.
Re: DIXON/JOHNSON/ROBSON
February 12, 2002 01:02AM
Dorothy,
I am researching my Dixon family line as well. I am in US trying to figure out how to search for my family in England. The particular members you mention are not familiar to me, however I know I am descended from dixons in Northumberland. I wonder if you have any information that would connect us? My search is based on the family bible so far, am trying to verfiy the dates while at the same time finding parents/family of William Dixon, b. 1869 who married Jane Brown, b. 1871. Have their birth, death, marriage dates, as well as those of their children and some siblings. Bible lists William's parents as Thomas and Ann Dixon, noting that Thomas was born in Allotment. Don't even know where that is yet! Jane is d/o George and Catherine Brown. Would love to hear if you have any relevent info or think we may be connected.
Re: DIXON/JOHNSON/ROBSON
February 12, 2002 02:59AM
My Ggrandfather , William DIXON b. 1853 married 1) Mary Ann BROWN in Tynemouth in 1872. They had two children Thomas b. 1875 and Mary Jane b. 1877 in South Shields ( my hometown). She had died before the 1881 census of South Shields. He then married 2) my Ggrandmother, Elizabeth Ann WILSON in 1883.On the 1891 Census William's father, William Maxwell DIXON and his wife Mary Ann nee JOHNSON were living in South Shields and Thomas then aged 15 , a manganese tester was visiting them . There seems to be a definite resemblance in names but DIXON is a very common name in the NorthEast of England and BROWN, of course, too.
I have quite a few Dixon's in my tree. Robert Dixon b 1803 m Mary Pigdon, children Jane b 1828, Isabella b 1830 (m Robert Swann), Mary Ann b 1832, Elizabeth b 1834, Margaret b 1840, Sarah b 1840.
Also Jane Swann (daughter of Isabella and Robert Swann) m Joseph Ely Dixon, children Elizabeth b 1891, Hilda b 1893, Herbert b 1895, Adeline b 1903, Joseph b 1905
Are any of these of any help?
Bronwyn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login