Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Maddison Madison Taylor

Posted by Robert M. Allen 
Maddison Madison Taylor
February 18, 2002 07:40AM
I am searching for more information about the families of John Maddison who married Mary Taylor on 8 June 1645 in Witton le Wear, Durham County, England. I suspect that this couple immigrated to Virginia between 1645-1653.
I think that Mary Tayler may have been the Mary Tailor who was Christened on 3 Oct. 1619 in Witton le Wear, the daughter of William Tailor and perhaps the brother of William Tailer who was Christened on 9 March 1600/01. This brother, William Tailer/Tayler/Taylor may have also immigrated to Virginia in the 1630s.
Contrary to some rumors, I do not think that this couple had any conection with Isaac Maddison who died in VA in 1624.
Re: Maddison Madison Taylor
February 18, 2002 02:49PM
Hello Robert,
There was a John MADDESON baptised on July 17th.1619 at Witton-le-Wear. Father: Leonard.
There was also another Mary TAYLER baptised Nov.22nd.1616 at Witton-le-Wear. Father: Nicholas. Nicholas TAYLER baptised Nov.22nd.1574. Father: Ralph.
Harry
Re: Maddison Madison Taylor
February 18, 2002 06:45PM
There are a lot of Maddisons, particularly John Maddisons, in the nearby community of Stanhope during the 17th Century. It is hard to be sure which John Maddison married Mary Tayler in Witton-le-Wear in 1645. If this John Maddison was the son of Leonard Maddison who was baptized in 1619 in Witton-le-Wear, then I do not think he is the immigrant to VA in the mid-17th Century because the name Leonard is not to be found anywhere in the descendants of that John Maddison.
What I do know is that the John Maddison, immigrant to VA, had a wife named Mary and they seem to first appear in VA no earlier that 1646 (Lancaster Co., VA) and for sure by January 1653/54 (Gloucester/New Kent Co., VA).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login