Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Edwards, John, born 1883 Wrexham area

Posted by robelaine170 
Edwards, John, born 1883 Wrexham area
October 20, 2008 10:10AM
My husband Robert Edwards, is of Welsh Stock.
I have had a tremendous battle to find information about his grandfather who was I think born in
Wrexham (maybe Ruabon) North Wales
in 1883,
His name was :
John Edwards
His fathers name was Isaac
His mother...Margaret.
From what I can find out is that he came to South Africa by steamer to work on the gold mines.
I have subsequently received copies of his "Court Papers and Death Certificate etc"
I just want to add, that I have never met John Edwards (I have a photo of him)
I sat and wept for 2 days on receipt of these documents.
He was arrested in Vereeniging in 1910
being a "prohibited immigrant" He was found on a train in 3rd Class (which here in South Africa was a dead give away)
and asked by an Afrikander Policeman in he had the required 20 Pounds on him. He said "No" and was promptly thrown in jail for a month until the Magistrate and immigration officer agreed that John Edwards was:
Honest
Hard working
decent etc. trying to get to the mines to earn a living. and the magistrate recommended that because of "UNION" going to take place they should let John Edwards stay to work on the mines.He was a British Citizen from North Wales.
To cut a long story short....he married a
South African
Alletta Magdalena van Rensburg
They had 4 children:
1. John Daniel Isaac Edwards (My father in law)
2. Percy Edwards
3. Jean Edwards ( she is still alive , but senile)
4. Eric Llewlyn Edwards

On his death certificate it says his parents names were:

1. Isaac Edwards
2. Margaret Edwards
We are desperate to get hold of John Edwards born 1883 in (Wrexham / Ruabon) died Springs (Johannesburg) 1954.
Please can you put me in touch with any researchers. I am willing to pay their costs. I have been trying for over a year now and to no avail.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login