Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Clan McCarter

Posted by russb 
Clan McCarter
April 21, 2011 06:40PM
I am researching any information about regarding the Clan McCarter a sept of Clan Arthur. My research has stopped at
Donald MacArthur McCarter B.1624,Gargunnock, Stirlingshire, d.1685, Gargunnock, Stirlingshire. married to
Agnes McKinlay, b.1620, Gargunnock, Stirlingshire, d.1690, Gargunnock, Stirlingshie
Son: John McCarter, b. Stirlingshire, d. 1715, Jura, Argyl ??? , Married to Agnes McCullie, b.1652,
Stirlingshire
Son: Thomas, b.1684,Perth,Perthshire, d.????, married to Janet Chalmers, b.1693 Perthshire
Son: Moses William, b. 1717 or 1730, Perthshire, d. 1787, South Carolina,USA, married to Catherine Catren,
b.1733, Pennsylvania, d.1800, South Carolina

Clan McCarter is a highlands clan with the MacArthurs, yet i can only trace them to Perthshire, which is not in the Highlands.

I am aware of the turbulent times amongst the clans, the British and eventually the Jacobites, but I would assume that under the clan system that the families would remain near the rest of the clan. My McCarters appear to have left the Highlands for some unknown reason.
It is also known that Thomas and Janet along with their family, including Moses, immigrated to Northern Ireland sometime after 1717 and set sail for the colonies around 1727.
Re: Clan McCarter
September 06, 2011 04:00AM
I'm in the US --a descendent of Moses McCarter. He is my 4th great grandfather on my mother's side. In looking for information on Moses, I came across this article that had been added by someone as yet unknown to me. I know it's not any help in solving your mystery of Perthshire vs Highlands, but I thought you might be interested.
Incidentally, my husband, son and I made our first trip to Scotland last year. I didn't have any of this info at that time, but believe me when I tell you I felt drawn to Crief , Stirling and all of Perthshire. I can't wait to return knowing some of my roots run deep in those green hills.

Best wishes,
Robin

From Ancestry.com
Return to Moses McCarter Will of and Descendents of MosesDescendants of Moses McCarter Generation No. 1 1. MOSES1 MCCARTER was born May 1717 in Kincardine by Doune, Perth, Scotland, and died 1788 in 96th District South Carolina. He married CATREN UNKNOWN Abt. 1745 in York County Pennsylvania. She died Abt. Jun 1800 in 96th District South Carolina. Notes for MOSES MCCARTER: Everything points to the Birth date of 1717. There was a Moses McArtur born in Scotland. Rumors that Moses's Father was Thomas McArtur and Janet Chalmers. Im still researching this. I feel it is unlikely. Tradition was to name the first born son hafter the paternal grandfather. Everything points to Moses and Catren's first born son to be John McCarter. None of there children where named Thomas and is not a known family name in this McCarter branch. But John is a very popular name in this Branch. There was a John and Jeanet Archibald McArthur who had a son John McCarter Born Abt 1687 Kenmore, Perth, Scotland who married Margaret Campbell. This could be a connection since he named 3 of his children John, Margaret, and Jeanet. 1750 Appears on the tax list for Sadsbury Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. 1751 Appears on the tax list for Bart Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. 4 August 1752 Moses McCarter and John Perry were executors of the estate of Janet Perry in Bart Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. (note) Moses McCarter, Sr. of Abbeville County, SC drew up his will in 1787. A copy of it is located at the Abbeville County, SC courthouse. The will of Moses McCarter is given below: 'In the Name of God Amen. 'The Twenty-fifth Day of February in the year of our Lord A.D. 1787, I Moses McCarter of South Carolina and County of Abbeville, Farmer, being very Sick and Weak of body, but of perfect mind and memory, Thanks be given unto God for the same and Calling to mind - the mortality of my body and Knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and Ordain this my last Will and Testament: 'That is to Say principally and First of all, I give and recommend my soul into the Hands of God that gave all, and for my body I recommend it to the Earth to be buried [Christian] and decent manner at the discretion of my Executors nothing doubt but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the Same again by the mighty Power of God, and as Touching Such Worldly Estate where with it hath pleased God to bless me in this life -I Give, Devise, and Dispose of the Same in Manner and form following: 'That is to Say, in the first place, To send unto Catren my dearly Beloved Wife during her natural life the Whole of my personal Estate and also the Use of the Plantation whereon I now dwell, and at her death my will further is and I do hereby give the said Plantation to be Equally Divided Between my Two sons, Robert McCarter and Moses McCarter Jr. to them their heirs and assigns Forever. My Will further is that my beloved Wife Catren Do pay out of my Estate before the Term of one year from this Date or my Decease one Dollar to Each of my Children, to wit: Anne York, Catren Evans, John McCarter, William McCarter, Mary McCarter, Agnes Crawford, Margaret Bates, Jennett McCarter, James McCarter. My will further is that after the death of my beloved Wife Catren the whole of my Personal Estate be sold and the money thereby arising be Equally Divided Except one horse and one cow to be reserved to each of my two sons, Robert and Moses, between all my herein named Children and I do hereby appoint and ordain John McCarter and Fleming Bates my Executors to this my last Will giving them [the] said Executors full Power to act and do all and Singular the day of Executors, and I do hereby Disallow, Revoke, and Disannull all and Every other Former Testaments, Wills and Legacys, Requests and Executors by me in any wise before this Time named, Willed and Bequeathed, Ratifying and Confirming this and no other to be my last Will and Testament. 'In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal this day and year above written. 'Signed, Sealed, Published,) His Pronounced, and Declared )Moses X McCarter (Seal) by the Said Moses McCarter ) Mark as his last Will and Test- ) aments in the Presence of ) us Subscribers... Mary McCarter Her Margaret X Bates Mark Joseph Crawford The whole estate was appraised for inventory on 4th July 1800. Note: The Revolutionary War pension papers of William McCarter indicated that Moses McCarter and his family were living in the county of York, State of Pennsylvania at the birth of William in1758. Then they migrated to 'Hawfields,' North Carolina before the birth of James McCarter in 1765 according to Revolutionary War pension papers of James McCarter. In 'North Carolina Land Grants in South Carolina, Volume II: Anson and Mecklenburg Counties 1749-1770' by Brent Holcomb, there are two entries for Moses McCarter - lands in South Carolina: (1) Moses McCarter entered 300 acres of land on Bullocks Creek and the long watery Branch...macca does lines on26 September 1766. It was granted by North Carolina Governor William Tyron. Later it was sold to Zachariah Bell of Craven County, South Carolina before December 1769. (2) Moses McCarter entered 250 acres of land on Susey Boles Branch of Turkey Creek including his improvement...Seth Johnson...John McKnit Alexanders on 8 December 1768. It was granted by the State ofNorth Carolina on 4 May 1769. Later it was sold to William Bolding of Tryon County on 22 December 1770. Then on 27 May1771, William Bolding of Tryon County sold the same tract of land back to Moses McCarter. From 'Stub Entries to Indents' issued in Payment of Claims Against South Carolina - Growing Out of the Revolution, edited by A. S. Salley, Jr., Secretary of the Historical Commission of South Carolina, it is found that Moses McCarter filed a claim against the State of South Carolina for pay for milita dutysince the fall of Charleston and was paid 'four Pounds, eight Shillings & six Pence, three Farthings Sterling.' Sometime during the period of 1771 to 1787, Moses McCarter and his family migrated to Ninety-six District, Abbeville County, South Carolina. Here he lived until his death between the date of his will, 25 February 1787 and the date of probated, 9 January1788. More About MOSES MCCARTER: Christening: 16 May 1717, Kincardine by Doune, Perth, Scotland Children of MOSES MCCARTER and CATREN UNKNOWN are: 2. i. ANNE2 MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1752, Virgina; d. 1800, Kentucky. 3. ii. CATREN MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1753. iii. JOHN MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1754. Notes for JOHN MCCARTER: Capt. John McCarter - third child and oldest son of Moses and Catren born 1750s to 1760s in PA or VA. May have married a woman named Mary, since a Mary McCarter is found mentioned in the Summer of 1788, appearing with Capt. John McCarter, executor of Moses' will. Capt. John McCarter seved during the Rev. War. His brother James served with him in scouting parties against the Cherokee Indians. Received his military indent on 4/14/1787. Received $3.82 1/2 from his late brother's estate in 1792. Received $115.31 from his late father's estate in 1800. Some time during or after 1814, Capt. John McCarter may have went to Alabama to fight against the Creek Indians. He would have done this because of his vast experience in scouting parties. He may have passed away in Perry County, AL after August of 1824. The 1820 Perry County Alabama Census is gone, so I don't know if he lived in Perry County in 1820 or not. I have found a will for a John McCarter and he names John of _____ Bates as his executor. Fleming and Margaret McCarter Bates had a son named John McCarter Bates. One of the witnesses to the will is a William Brewer. Fleming and Margaret McCarter Bates had a daughter who married a William Brewer. The copy of the original will is gone. The only copy is the one written into a book. Because I have no way to compare signatures with signatures of Capt. John McCarter. I am not for sure this is Capt. John McCarter or not, but it sure does appear to be him because the last paragraph in his 'short' will is identical to the last paragraph of Moses' will in 1787. Will terminology was common back then, but it is very strange that a paragraph written in a will in 1787 In SC and a paragraph written in a will in 1824 in AL be exactly the same 4. iv. WILLIAM MCCARTER, b. 1758. v. MARY MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1760. Notes for MARY MCCARTER: Mary McCarter - fifth child of Moses and Catren born mid 1760s in VA or NC. It is a mystery who her husband was. Some sources list her as married to an Andrew Jones before 1787. In her father's will she is listed single as Mary McCarter. In 1792, a Andrew Jones received $3.82 1/2 from the estate of the late Robert McCarter, brother of Mary. In the inventory sheets for Moses McCarter a Thomas Crawford and Mary Crawford are listed in buying items. In 1800, John McCarter crossed out $109.55 to Andrew Jones and reduced the amount less $109.55 from the estate sale figures. I truly do not know what relation Andrew Jones would have to the McCarter family. Info I find on Andrew Jones - he is married to a Weed woman. And two Andrew Jones of Abbeville County died before 1800. One has Reuben Weed as his executor and next of kin. vi. AGNES MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1761; m. JOSEPH CRAWFORD. Notes for AGNES MCCARTER: Agnes McCarter - sixth child of Moses and Catren born 1760-1761 in VA or NC. Sources list her married to a Joseph Crawford. She married Samuel Crawford. In 1775, Samuel and Agnes Crawford are found as witnesses in the will for Matthew Long. In 1792, Samuel and Agnes received $3.82 1/2 from the estate of Robert McCarter. In 1800, during the estate sale of Moses McCarter $1.50 was put into the account of Samuel Crawford. In Moses' will - he wished a dollar be given to his children from his estate. Samuel and Anges received $109.55 from the estate of Moses McCarter. Agnes passed away in 1838 in SC. 5. vii. MARGARET MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1762; d. Greene County, Alabama. 6. viii. JEANETT MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1763. 7. ix. JAMES MCCARTER, b. 28 May 1765, Waxhaw Settlement - Hawfields North Carolina; d. 1844, Green County Alabama. x. ROBERT MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1767; d. Dec 1791, South Carolina. Notes for ROBERT MCCARTER: Robert McCarter - the tenth child of Moses and Catren born mid 1760s in NC. May have married a Margaret Foster in 1780 to 1782, since a Margaret McCarter is witness to a will for James Foster in May of 1782. We know this is not Margaret McCarter daughter of Moses McCarter, because she was already married before 1782 to Fleming Bates. Robert passed away in 1792. $1.33 1/2 was given to John Foster from his estate sale. Hopewell Presbyterian Church, Abbeville District, South Carolina "Dr. Clark's last sermon was preached at Long Cane Meeting House, December 25, 1791. On the same day he read the citation of the death of Robert McCarter. Dr. Clark died in the evening of the following day, December 26, 1791. (His probated will and the sale of property and the notice of his death in the Charleston Gazette prove that he died in 1791, NOT 1792, as is frequently stated). On his desk, at which he was found dying, was A Pastoral and Farewell Letter to the Associate Congregation of Presbyterians in Ballibay, Ireland, the last sentence of which was, 'What I do thou knowest not now, but shalt know hereafter.' Thus passed a man whose godly example was his best advice, a man of great eccentricities, but wholly devoted to the cause of Christ, and in active labors exceeding abundant." xi. MOSES MCCARTER JR, b. Abt. 1772, Abbeville District, South Carolina. Notes for MOSES MCCARTER JR: Fought in the war of 1812 is thought to be the youngest child of Moses and Catren McCarter. Generation No. 2 2. ANNE2 MCCARTER (MOSES1) was born Abt. 1752 in Virgina, and died 1800 in Kentucky. She married RICHARD YORK SR, son of WILLIAM J. YORK. He was born Abt. 1755, and died Abt. 1815 in Jackson County, Tennessee. Notes for ANNE MCCARTER: Anne McCarter York - oldest child of Moses and Catren born 1750s in PA. Married Richard York. Richard was born1750 in NC. They lived in Pendleton County, SC and Richard served as a juror on the court. In 1792, Richard and Anne received $3.82 1/2 from her late brother's estate - Robert McCarter. Richard and Anne moved to KY in the 1790s. Anne died in the 1790s in KY. Richard and Anne had two sons and one daughter. When Anne's father's estate was settled in 1800, Richard did not receive a share from the estate. Richard second married Rebecca Glenn and possibly a third time to a Shumate woman. Children of ANNE MCCARTER and RICHARD SR are: i. ROBERT3 YORK, b. Abt. 1784, South Carolina. 8. ii. RICHARD YORK JR. 3. CATREN2 MCCARTER (MOSES1) was born Abt. 1753. She married RICHARD EVANS 1778 in Old 96th District, South Carolina. He was born 1757 in Chesterfield District of South Carolina, and died 1806. Notes for CATREN MCCARTER: Catren McCarter Evans - second child of Moses and Catren born 1750s to 1760s in PA or VA. Married Richard Evans before 1787. Richard was born 1751 and was of Welsh descent. He may have been some relation to a Ezekiel Evans. Ezekiel Evans is found as a 1779 South Carolina Colonly resident along with Moses McCarter. In 1800 Ezekiel Evans lived above Fleming Bates, son-in-law to Moses McCarter, Sr. Ezekiel Evans is found as a witness in the codicil for Fleming Bates in 1804, along with Catren McCarter, widow of Moses McCarter, Sr. Catren has been listed as dead by 1800. Richard and Catren are also found in the 1800 SC Census for Abbeville County. In 1792, Catren McCarter Evans' brother Robert McCarter passed away. Richard and Catren received $3.82 1/2 from his estate sale. In 1800 when Moses Sr. estate was finally settled. Richard and Catren received a little over $108.00 from the estate. Notes for RICHARD EVANS: This is an update on info on Catren McCarter Evans. I have received a copy of a will for Richard Evans from the Chester County courthouse in Chester, SC. A few lines from the will...In the Name of God Amen, I Richard Evans of Sandy river Chester County Pinkney district & State of South Carolina... ...I leave demise and Bequeath to Catren Evans my Dearly beloved wife... ....Next, I leeve (sic)Demise and Bequeath, Unto all my Children John, Samuel, James, Isaac, Hannah, Moses, Catren and Anna Evans. Will written 11/7/1799. Probated 7/29/1806 Richard Evans and Catharine McCarter Richard Evans was born 1757 in the Chesterfield District of South Carolina, the son of William Evans. Little is known about William, other than the fact he emigrated from Wales. Revolutionary War Served as a wagon master and commissary. 25 May 1787 Catharine was named in the will of her father as “Catren Evans.” 1790 Appears on the census for Chester County, South Carolina. (note) 1799 Richard signed his will in Chester County, South Carolina. 1810 A “Caty” Evans appears on the census for Chester County, South Carolina. (note) Richard married Catharine McCarter, daughter of Moses and Catren McCarter in 1778 in Ninety-Six District, South Carolina. They were the parents of at least four children, all born in the Chesterfield District of South Carolina: Richard McCarter, born 22 November 1789, died 11 July 1854 in Sevier County, Tennessee; married Catharine Emert 26 March 1812 in Sevier County, Tennessee Ann “Annie”, born 30 April 1792, died 18 December 1859 in Chester County, South Carolina; married Peter Kelso Wylie 25 January 1810 Jacob, born 1797, died March 1878; married Martha Ogle William, born January 1802, died 10 October 1873 (note) Children of CATREN MCCARTER and RICHARD EVANS are: i. JOHN3 EVANS. ii. SAMUEL EVANS. iii. JAMES EVANS. iv. ISAAC EVANS. v. HANNAH EVANS. vi. MOSES EVANS. vii. CATREN EVANS. viii. ANNE EVANS. 4. WILLIAM2 MCCARTER (MOSES1) was born 1758. He married UNKNOWN UNKNOWN. Notes for WILLIAM MCCARTER: William McCarter - fourth child of Moses and Catren born late 1750s to 1760s in VA or NC. Did not serve in Rev. War. He received $3.82 1/2 from his late brother Robert's estate in 1792. He served jury duty for the court in Edgefield between 1792 and 1795. He was known as 'Will.' He received $109.55 in 1800 from his late father's estate. He is found in the 1800 SC Census for Edgefield living among the Huskeys, Ogles and a Oensby/Ownby. Children of WILLIAM MCCARTER and UNKNOWN UNKNOWN are: 9. i. JAMES3 MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1782. ii. JOSEPH MCCARTER. iii. UNKNOWN MCCARTER. 5. MARGARET2 MCCARTER (MOSES1) was born Abt. 1762, and died in Greene County, Alabama. She married FLEMING BATES 15 Feb 1787 in Old 96th District, South Carolina, son of JAMES BATES and WINIFRED HICKS. He was born 22 Nov 1747, and died 22 Jun 1804 in Abbeville, South Carolina. Notes for MARGARET MCCARTER: Margaret McCarter Bates. - seventh child of Moses and Catren born 1760s in VA or NC. Married Fleming Bates on 2/17/1778 in Abbeville County, SC. Received $3.82 1/2 from the estate of Robert McCarter in 1792. Received $109.55 from the estate of Moses McCarter in 1800. They had children: Robert Alexander Bates, John McCarter Bates. Catharine Hicks Bates, Sally Grimes Bates, Ann Clark Bates, Elizabeth Fleming Bates. Fleming passed away in 1804. Margaret may have moved to AL with two of her children and died there, but I really do not know for sure. Children of MARGARET MCCARTER and FLEMING BATES are: i. CATHERINE HICKS3 BATES. ii. SALLY GRIMES BATES. iii. ROBERT ALEXANDER BATES. 10. iv. JOHN MCCARTER BATES, b. 1799, South Carolina. v. ANN CLARK BATES. vi. ELIZABETH FLEMING BATES. 6. JEANETT2 MCCARTER (MOSES1) was born Abt. 1763. She married THOMAS MORROW. He was born 1765, and died 16 Nov 1846. Notes for JEANETT MCCARTER: Jennet McCarter Morrow - eighth child of Moses and Catren born 1760s in NC. Married Thomas Morrow. Thomas was born in 1765. They received $3.82 1/2 from the estate of Robert McCarter. They received $109.55 from the estate of Moses McCarter. They moved to KY in 1810. Jennet died in 1835 in Logan County, KY. Thomas then married a woman first name 'Coley.' Thomas Morrow left a will. Thomas and Jennet had 10 children. Family is documented in the book 'Morrow Cousins' by Ophelia M. Phillips. Children of JEANETT MCCARTER and THOMAS MORROW are: i. JOHN3 MORROW, m. MARY SUTTON. ii. THOMAS MORROW JR. iii. SAMUEL MORROW. 7. JAMES2 MCCARTER (MOSES1) was born 28 May 1765 in Waxhaw Settlement - Hawfields North Carolina, and died 1844 in Green County Alabama. He married NANCY DAVY. She died in Green County Alabama. Notes for JAMES MCCARTER: What is the 'Waxhaws'? Originally known as "the Waxhaw Settlement," the region encompasses an area just south of Charlotte, NC to Lancaster, SC and from the Catawba River in the west to Monroe, NC in the east. The area was named for its first inhabitants, the Waxhaw Indians. James McCarter served as a volunteer under Captain Moody in the South Carolina Militia, then served under Captain Siddle, a part of General Andrew Pickens troops. He joined the scouting party commanded by Captain John McCarter in Abbeville County, South Carolina. According to his pension paper, he moved to Greene County, Alabama in 1818 from South Carolina. James McCarter - ninth child of Moses and Catren born 6/28/1765 in the Waxhaw Settlement in what back then was known as Mecklenburg County, NC. In his pension file, he states his birth is listed in his father's family bible. He enlisted in 1780. Some sources list him as enlisting in 1778. He states he enlisted in 1780. He fought in the Battle of Cowpens with General Morgan against the British Colonel Banastar Tarleton. He served with his brother Capt. John McCarter in scouting parties against the Cherokee Indians. James also helped in the construction of the block house for Gen. Andrew Pickens. He married a Nancy. Some say she was a Davy. Some say she was a Bates. Info from the Bates of Old VA can't seem to find any info on her. It is probably a strong possibility she was a Bates since two of her and James' children were Robert Alexander Bates McCarter and Susanna/Susan Bates McCarter. James moved to Erie, Greene County, AL in 1818. In 1832, he applied for a pension for his military service during the Rev. War. He was 67 years old. Poor old soul lost his pension certificate twice and had to appear in court each time to receive a new one. Finally received his third one in or after 1838. He passed away after 1843 in AL. Notes for NANCY DAVY: There are Rumors that her Name was Nancy Bates. Since some of her children carry the middle name as Bates. Its also a rumor that she was a french woman who spoke very little english. If Nancy was a Bates it is possible she was maybe a sister or relative to Fleming Bates who married her sister in law Margaret McCarter Bates. Children of JAMES MCCARTER and NANCY DAVY are: 11. i. ROBERT ALEXANDER BATES3 MCCARTER, b. 03 May 1812, Abbeville District South Carolina; d. 09 Nov 1875, Navarro County Texas. 12. ii. MARGARET MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1791, South Carolina; d. 26 Nov 1856, Greensboro, Hale Co., AL. iii. NANCY MCCARTER, m. JAMES CRAWFORD. iv. SARAH MCCARTER, m. JACOB IDOM. v. CATHERINE MCCARTER, m. FRANCIS LANDREL. vi. ANN MCCARTER, m. SAMUEL JACK. vii. SUSAN B. MCCARTER, m. ARTHUR A. GRAY. viii. MOSES MCCARTER. ix. JOHN MCCARTER. x. WILLIAM B. MCCARTER. xi. PHILIP L. MCCARTER. 13. xii. ELIZABETH JANE MCCARTER, b. 29 Jun 1821, , Greene County, Alabama; d. 13 Apr 1902, Calhoun, Columbia County, Ark. xiii. MARY MCCARTER, m. JOHN GLASGOW. Generation No. 3 8. RICHARD YORK3 JR (ANNE2 MCCARTER, MOSES1) He married JANE "JEANNIE" HIBBETT. Children of RICHARD JR and JANE HIBBETT are: i. WILLIAM A.4 YORK, b. 12 Oct 1805. ii. ANNA J. YORK, b. 18 Apr 1807; m. ROBERT DAVIS. iii. ELIZABETH YORK, b. 13 Mar 1809. iv. MOSES YORK, b. 05 Jun 1811; m. (1) JANE BIRDWELL; m. (2) RACHEL BUTRUM. v. AARON YORK, b. 20 Apr 1813; m. (1) JERUSHA KNIGHT; m. (2) LYDIA WILSON KELLY. vi. RICHARD CARROLL YORK, b. 12 May 1815; m. SUSANNA DECKARD. vii. ANDREW HIBETT YORK, b. 05 Jun 1817; m. (1) LOUISA HIX; m. (2) ELIZABETH GOAD. viii. MATILDA YORK, b. 27 Feb 1819; m. JOHN C. SPRINGER. ix. JOSHUA HADLEY YORK, b. 01 Aug 1822; m. NANCY BEAN. x. GEORGE W. YORK, b. 01 Apr 1825; m. SYBIL ISABEL. 9. JAMES3 MCCARTER (WILLIAM2, MOSES1) was born Abt. 1782. He married REBECCA OGLE Abt. 1800 in Edgefield County, South Carolina, daughter of WILIAM OGLE and MARTHA HUSKEY. She was born Abt. 1782. Notes for JAMES MCCARTER: James McCarter was born circa 1782, probably in Ninety-six District, South Carolina, the son of William McCarter and his first wife. 26 February 1803 The will of William Ogle mentioned his daughter, Rebecca McCarter, and left her: “a cow and calf, bed and furniture, pot and some other furniture. Also, I give unto my beloved grandson William Carter a young sow.” circa 1805 Moved from Edgefield County, South Carolina, to Sevier County, Tennessee, settling in the Cartertown section of the county. James McCarter was married circa 1800 in Edgefield County, South Carolina, to Rebecca Ogle, daughter of William and Martha Huskey Ogle. Rebecca was born circa 1782 in North Carolina. James and Rebecca were the parents of seven children. William, born circa 1800 South Carolina; married Martha Waddle Isaac, born circa 1803 South Carolina; married Mary Waddle John, born 1805 South Carolina, died circa 1848/50 Sevier County, Tennessee; married Nancy Anderson circa 1820 in Sevier County, Tennessee Joseph, born 1810 Sevier County, Tennessee, died 12 December 1884 Sevier County, Tennessee; married (1) Nancy Reagan circa 1829 (2) Lydia Blazer 5 March 1857 (3) Malvina Bird 5 February 1867, all in Sevier County, Tennessee Thomas, born 18 January 1811 Sevier County, Tennessee, died 12 February 1888 Sevier County; married Mary Ownby 1834 James, born 1813 Sevier County, Tennessee, died circa 1860/70 Sevier County; married Edna Abbott circa 1835 Jeremiah M., born 3 Mar 1817 Sevier County, Tennessee, died 19 January 1875; married Nancy J. Hollingsworth James McCarter died shortly after the birth of his youngest son. It is believed he was buried at Cartertown Cemetery, Sevier County, Tennessee. Following the death of James McCarter, his widow, Rebecca Ogle McCarter, married Middleton Whaley circa 1818, by whom she had three more children. Rebecca died between 1870 and 1880 and was buried beside her second husband at the Proffitt Cemetery in the Glades, Sevier County, Tennessee. Children of JAMES MCCARTER and REBECCA OGLE are: i. WILLIAM4 MCCARTER, b. 1800, South Carolina. ii. ISAAC MCCARTER, b. 1803, South Carolina. iii. JOHN MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1805, Sevier County Tennessee; d. Abt. 1848. iv. JOSEPH MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1810, Sevier County Tennessee; d. Aft. 1867. v. THOMAS MCCARTER, b. 18 Jan 1811, Sevier County Tennessee; d. 12 Feb 1888. vi. JAMES MCCARTER, b. 1813, Sevier County Tennessee. vii. JEREMIAH M MCCARTER, b. 03 Mar 1817, Sevier County Tennessee; d. 19 Jan 1875. 10. JOHN MCCARTER3 BATES (MARGARET2 MCCARTER, MOSES1) was born 1799 in South Carolina. He married ELIZABETH PATTON 11 Aug 1824 in Green County Alabama. She was born 1811. Notes for JOHN MCCARTER BATES: Alabama Marriage Collection, 1800-1969 about John M Bates Name: John M Bates Spouse: Elizabeth Patton Marriage Date: 11 Aug 1824 County: Greene State: Alabama Source information: Hunting For Bears Children of JOHN BATES and ELIZABETH PATTON are: i. MARGARET L.4 BATES, b. 1827, Greene County, Alabama. ii. SAMUEL BATES, b. 1832, Greene County, Alabama. 11. ROBERT ALEXANDER BATES3 MCCARTER (JAMES2, MOSES1) was born 03 May 1812 in Abbeville District South Carolina, and died 09 Nov 1875 in Navarro County Texas. He married (1) SARAH ANN CHANCE 24 May 1838 in Green County Alabama, daughter of ISAAC CHANCE and UNKNOWN UNKNOWN. He married (2) MARIAH LOUISA MEADOR 06 Nov 1844 in Green County Alabama, daughter of JASON MEADOR and ELIZABETH HENDRICKS. She was born 14 Jan 1826 in North Carolina, and died 23 Oct 1881 in Navarro County Texas. Notes for ROBERT ALEXANDER BATES MCCARTER: *MCCARTER, Robert A.B.- Robert A.Bates McCarter was born on 3 May 1812 in the Abbeville District of South Carolina to James McCarter and Nancy Davy who died in Green County, AL. Robert A.B. McCarter married first to Sarah Ann Chance on May 24, 1838 in Sumpter County, AL. (B.Blanton, J.P.) Sarah Ann Chance was the daughter of Isaac S. Chance who consented to the marriage. Robert A. Bates McCarter married a 2nd time to Mariah Louisa Meador on Nov. 6, 1844 in Green County, AL. Mariah was born on Janaury 14, 1825 in North Carolina and died on Oct. 23, 1881 in Navarro County, TX. Her parents were Hugh Meador and Elizabeth Hendrick. Robert and Mariah lived in Alabama in 1845, in MS in 1848, and emigrated to Navarro County, TX by 1850 where he first appears on the Navarro County Tax Rolls as the owner of 6 slaves. They settled in the Dunn's Schoolhouse (Eureka) area. Robert and Mariah had 8 children: 1) Josephine Asaline Sarah Jane Virginia McCarter (b.abt 1845, AL), 2) Mary Beatress Bernadine McCarter (b.13 Oct 1848, MS), 3) Alabama LouisianaTexas Evelyna McCarter (b.abt 1849/1850) who married first: George W. Boyd and had 6 children; married 2nd: George F. Heise on Feb. 24, 1885, 4) James Robert Alexander Bates McCarter (b.17 Nov 1852 - d. 10 Jan 1916), 5) William Edgar Alonzo Vines McCarter (b.29 Jan 1856), 6)Philamelia Cleopatra Pandora McCarter (b.27 Nov 1857-d. 31 Jan. 1877), 7) Emily Ida Garnette McCarter (b.29 Nov 1859), and Samuel D. McCarter (b.29 Jul 1865-d.30 Jul 1870). Robert A. Bates McCarter died on Nov. 9, 1875 and is buried in the Dunn Cemetery, Eureka, Navarro County, TX (SOURCES: Samuels, Nancy T. & Knox, Bara R., Old Northwest Texas, Vol1-B, Navarro County, 1846-1860. Pub. Fort Worth Genealogical Society, p.505 and, Herbert H. McCarter, compiler, ROBERT A.B.MCCARTER In Navarro County, Texas And Allied Families, D. Armstrong Co., Inc. Publishers, Houston, Texas, c1979, p.3.) More About ROBERT ALEXANDER BATES MCCARTER: Burial: Dunn Cemetary, Eureka Texas Children of ROBERT MCCARTER and MARIAH MEADOR are: i. JOSEPHINE ASALINE SARAH JANE VIRGINA4 MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1845, Alabama. ii. MARY BEATRESS B MCCARTER, b. 13 Oct 1848; d. Abt. 1853, Navarro County, Texas. iii. ALABAMA LOUISIANA TEXAS MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1849; m. (1) GEORGE W. BOYD; m. (2) GEORGE F HEISE. 14. iv. JAMES ROBERT ALEXANDER MCCARTER, b. 17 Nov 1852, Navarro County Texas; d. 10 Jan 1916, Navarro County Texas. v. WILLIAM EDGAR ALONZO VINE MCCARTER, b. 29 Jan 1856; m. IDA SHEFFIELD. vi. PHILAMELIA CLEOPATRA PANDORA MCCARTER, b. 27 Nov 1857, Navarro County Texas; d. 31 Jan 1877, Navarro County Texas; m. JOSEPH MILTON GREENUP, Abt. 1872, Navarro County Texas; b. 18 Dec 1855, Cole County Missouri; d. 11 Apr 1930, Corsicana Texas Navarro County. vii. EMILY IDA GARNETTE MCCARTER, b. 29 Nov 1859, Navarro County Texas; m. JOSEPH MILTON GREENUP, 15 Jan 1878, Navarro County Texas; b. 18 Dec 1855, Cole County Missouri; d. 11 Apr 1930, Corsicana Texas Navarro County. viii. SAMUEL MCCARTER, b. 29 Jul 1865; d. 30 Jul 1870, Navarro County Texas. 12. MARGARET3 MCCARTER (JAMES2, MOSES1) was born Abt. 1791 in South Carolina, and died 26 Nov 1856 in Greensboro, Hale Co., AL. She married WILLIAM MARTIN. He was born Abt. 1783 in South Carolina, and died 12 Jun 1855 in Greensboro, Hale Co., AL. More About MARGARET MCCARTER: Record Change: 28 Oct 2003 More About WILLIAM MARTIN: Record Change: 28 Oct 2003 Marriage Notes for MARGARET MCCARTER and WILLIAM MARTIN: _STATMARRIED Child of MARGARET MCCARTER and WILLIAM MARTIN is: 15. i. SARAH CAROLINE4 MARTIN, b. 01 Aug 1812, South Carolina; d. 25 Jul 1887, Greensboro, Hale Co., AL. 13. ELIZABETH JANE3 MCCARTER (JAMES2, MOSES1) was born 29 Jun 1821 in , Greene County, Alabama, and died 13 Apr 1902 in Calhoun, Columbia County, Ark. She married WILLIAM C. MCDONALD 06 Jan 1835 in Greene Ct, Ala. He was born 09 Mar 1811 in Richmond County, NC, and died 04 May 1866 in Calhoun, Columbia County, Ark. Notes for ELIZABETH JANE MCCARTER: REFN: P-57 More About ELIZABETH JANE MCCARTER: Record Change: 01 Sep 2000 More About WILLIAM C. MCDONALD: Record Change: 09 Oct 2000 Marriage Notes for ELIZABETH MCCARTER and WILLIAM MCDONALD: _UIDA98FE581FCDDD51197CAA39125E41C344BCF Children of ELIZABETH MCCARTER and WILLIAM MCDONALD are: i. MARTHA SUSAN4 MCDONALD, b. 25 May 1836, , Greene County, Alabama; d. 27 Apr 1932, Calhoun, Columbia County, Arkansas. More About MARTHA SUSAN MCDONALD: Record Change: 01 Sep 2000 ii. ELIZA J MCDONALD, b. 07 Mar 1838. More About ELIZA J MCDONALD: Record Change: 01 Sep 2000 iii. MARYAN NANCY MCDONALD, b. 09 Dec 1839. More About MARYAN NANCY MCDONALD: Record Change: 06 Sep 1999 iv. WILLIAM DANIEL MCDONALD, b. 14 Apr 1841, Ala. More About WILLIAM DANIEL MCDONALD: Record Change: 01 Sep 2000 v. ROBERT ALBERT MCDONALD, b. 19 Nov 1843, , , Alabama; d. Abt. 1889. More About ROBERT ALBERT MCDONALD: Record Change: 29 Jun 2002 vi. WILLIAM GUNN MCDONALD, b. 05 Dec 1845. More About WILLIAM GUNN MCDONALD: Record Change: 06 Sep 1999 vii. ELIZABETH AMELIA MCDONALD, b. 23 Mar 1848. More About ELIZABETH AMELIA MCDONALD: Record Change: 01 Sep 2000 viii. FRANCES JUSTINA MCDONALD, b. 29 Apr 1850. More About FRANCES JUSTINA MCDONALD: Record Change: 06 Sep 1999 ix. JAMES THOMAS MCDONALD, b. 03 Dec 1851. More About JAMES THOMAS MCDONALD: Record Change: 06 Sep 1999 x. MARTIN WASHINGTON MCDONALD, b. 03 Jun 1855. More About MARTIN WASHINGTON MCDONALD: Record Change: 06 Sep 1999 xi. MARGARET ROBERTA MCDONALD, b. 27 May 1860. More About MARGARET ROBERTA MCDONALD: Record Change: 06 Sep 1999 Generation No. 4 14. JAMES ROBERT ALEXANDER4 MCCARTER (ROBERT ALEXANDER BATES3, JAMES2, MOSES1) was born 17 Nov 1852 in Navarro County Texas, and died 10 Jan 1916 in Navarro County Texas. He married (1) JOSPEHINE MACDONALD 14 Nov 1873 in Navarro County Texas, daughter of MARTIN MACDONALD and LUCINDA EZELL. She was born 14 Nov 1851, and died 13 May 1876 in Navarro County Texas. He married (2) EMILY "EMMA" L THOMPSON 20 Sep 1877 in Navarro County Texas. She was born 02 Dec 1854 in Corsicana Texas Navarro County, and died 02 Jun 1885 in Navarro County Texas. He married (3) GEORGETTA A. MARLOW SANDERS "ETTA" 20 May 1889 in Navarro County Texas1, daughter of WILLIAM MARLOW and AMELIA SUMMERS. She was born 21 Apr 1868 in Illinois, and died 06 Sep 1926 in Navarro County Texas. Notes for JAMES ROBERT ALEXANDER MCCARTER: *MCCARTER, James Robert Alexander Bates James Robert Alexander Bates McCarter, "Jim" was the son of Robert A.B. McCarter and Mariah Louisa Meador. He was born on 17 Nov 1852 in a log cabin on the McCarter homeplace which consisted of 200 acres in the S.I. Johnson Section of land near Eureka, Navarro County, TX. He was a farmer all of his life. He married 3 times: 1) Josephine McDonald - 3 Feb 1873, Navarro County, TX; 2) Emily L. Thompson - Sept. 20, 1877, Navarro County, TX; and 3) Georgetta A. Marlow "Etta" on May 21, 1889, Navarro County, TX. One child, Robert Martin McCarter (b.9 Dec 1874,Navarro County,TX) was born of the 1st marriage. Four children, Ida G. McCarter (15 Aug 1878), Carl McCarter (29 May 1880), Pearl McCarter (29 May 1880) and Claude Vernon McCarter (28 Jul 1883) were born of the 2nd marriage. Six children, Ira Mcarter, George Dewey McCarter, Anneta McCarter (b.12 Apr 1881 - d.3 Jun 1891;burried Dunn Cemetery), Louella Gladys McCarter (b.15 Jan 1899), Rhoda Belle McCarter (b.31 Jul 1901), and George Robert McCarter were born of the 3rd marriage. James Robert Alexander Bates McCarter died on January 10, 1916 with a kidney problem. He is buried in the Dunn Cemetery, Eureka, Navarro County, TX. (SOURCE: ROBERT A.B.MCCARTER In Navarro County, Texas And Allied Families, compiled by Herbert H. McCarter, D. Armstrong Co., Inc. Publishers, Houston, Texas, c1979, p.35. More About JAMES ROBERT ALEXANDER MCCARTER: Burial: Dunn Cemetary, Eureka Texas Notes for JOSPEHINE MACDONALD: MCCARTER, Josephine born Nov. 14, 1851 died May 13, 1876 Josephine McDonald was born November 14, 1851 to Martin Donald McDonald (b.Feb 1824, Richmond, NC - died after 1900, TX? ) and to Lucinda Ezell (born March 28,1827, Summit, Pike County, MS). Lucinda Ezell was the daughter of Benjamin Ezell and Rebecca Morris of Pike County, MS. Josephine married James R. McCarter on Nov. 14, 1872 in Navarro County, TX. Josephine'sparents, Martin Donald McDonald and Lucinda Ezell had emigrated to Navarro County around 1868 from Jackson Parish, LA after having been married in Lauderdale County, MS. In Navarro County, Martin Donald McDonald purchased 320 acres of land from E.A. & Mary Miller on the waters of Chambers Creek, on the W.J. Malone headright (Deed Record Bk 5, p.552). Josephine McDonald married James Robert Alexander Bates McCarter on Nov. 14, 1873 in Navarro County. One child, Robert Martin McCarter (b.9 Dec 1874,Navarro County,TX) was born of the marriage. Josephine McDonald McCarter died on 13 May 1876 and is buried in the Dunn Cemetery, Eureka, Navarro County, TX. Josephine's sister, Mary Rebecca McDonald married Oscar Leander Hancock. She is also buried in the Dunn Cemetery. (see writeup on James Robert Alexander Bates McCarter) More About EMILY "EMMA" L THOMPSON: Burial: Dunn Cemetary, Eureka Texas Notes for GEORGETTA A. MARLOW SANDERS "ETTA": Banks Sutherland Funeral Home Mortality Schedule 1925 - 1926 Corsicana, Navarro County Texas Mrs. Ella Greenup, b. Ill 4-21-1866, d. 9-6-1926, father Zom Marlow, b. Ill, mother Miss Summers, Tex. Child of JAMES MCCARTER and JOSPEHINE MACDONALD is: i. ROBERT MARTIN5 MCCARTER, b. 09 Dec 1874, Navarro County Texas; m. AMANDA VIOLA PETTY. Notes for ROBERT MARTIN MCCARTER: Sources: Title: Index to Navarro Co., TX Birth Records Page: V 4, p 7. Title: Photo of headstone. Title: SSDI records. Title: TX Bureau of Vital Statistics - Death Certificate Page: # 82180 - 71. Author: Navarro Co., TX Genealogical Society Title: "Cemeteries of Navarro County" Title: Marriage Records - Navarro Co., TX Page: V 31, p551 #18868. More About ROBERT MARTIN MCCARTER: Burial: Nov 1971, Restland Cemetary, Kerens, Navarro County, Texas Social Security Number: 455-36-6818 Children of JAMES MCCARTER and EMILY THOMPSON are: ii. IDA G5 MCCARTER, b. 15 Aug 1878, Navarro County Texas; d. 05 Aug 1880, Navarro County Texas. iii. CARL MCCARTER, b. 29 May 1880, Navarro County Texas. iv. PEARL MCCARTER, b. 29 May 1880, Navarro County Texas. v. ANNETTE A. MCCARTER, b. 12 Apr 1881, Navarro County Texas; d. 03 Jun 1891, Navarro County Texas. vi. CLAUDE VERNON MCCARTER, b. 28 Jul 1883, Navarro County Texas. Children of JAMES MCCARTER and GEORGETTA "ETTA" are: vii. GEORGE ROBERT5 MCCARTER. viii. IRA MCCARTER, b. 1892, Eureka, Navarro County, Texas; d. 06 Sep 1921, Eureka, Navarro County, Texas2; m. LORENE FLANAGAN (LENA), 15 Oct 1913, Corsicana, Navarro County Texas3; b. 24 Oct 1898, Texas; d. Mar 1983, Mabank, Kaufman County Texas. Notes for IRA MCCARTER: Not much is known about Ira McCarter. He died very young. He was only about 29 years old. Cause was noted as a Accidental Gun shot wound from a shot gun. The story was he was cleaning it. Rumors are his wife Lorene shot him though. I read somewhere he was hospitalized for a year before he died. and then 2 months after he died Lorene put there 3 children in the Corsicana Orphanage for Boys. Im adding his Obituary from the Newspaper. He was buried at Eureka Cemetary but I don't believe there is a marker for him. In the records Lorene filled out at the Orphanage it said the boys had a inheritance from there father Ira but It didn't say what it was. And I know they never recieved any of it. Most likely it could of been land that had been pasted down to him from his father James Robert Alexander McCarter. What ever happen to it is unknown. More About IRA MCCARTER: Burial: 08 Sep 1921, Eureka Cemetary More About LORENE FLANAGAN (LENA): Social Security Number: 463-30-7335 ix. GEORGE DEWEY MCCARTER, b. Abt. 1895, Navarro County Texas. x. LOUELLA GLADYS MCCARTER, b. 15 Jan 1899, Navarro County Texas. xi. RHODA BELLE MCCARTER, b. 31 Jul 1901, Navarro County Texas. 15. SARAH CAROLINE4 MARTIN (MARGARET3 MCCARTER, JAMES2, MOSES1) was born 01 Aug 1812 in South Carolina, and died 25 Jul 1887 in Greensboro, Hale Co., AL. She married PETER P. STOKES. He was born 04 May 1806 in South Carolina, and died 30 Jul 1871 in Greensboro, Hale Co., AL. More About SARAH CAROLINE MARTIN: Record Change: 28 Oct 2003 More About PETER P. STOKES: Record Change: 28 Oct 2003 Marriage Notes for SARAH MARTIN and PETER STOKES: _STATMARRIED Children of SARAH MARTIN and PETER STOKES are: i. JAMES B.5 STOKES, b. 1842, Greene Co., Alabama; m. (1) SARAH J. VAUGHN; b. 1837, Alabama; m. (4) SARAH J. UNKNOWN. More About JAMES B. STOKES: Record Change: 14 Apr 2004 Notes for SARAH J. VAUGHN: Both of her parents were from Georgia. More About SARAH J. VAUGHN: Record Change: 14 Apr 2004 Marriage Notes for JAMES STOKES and SARAH VAUGHN: _STATMARRIED More About SARAH J. UNKNOWN: Record Change: 14 Apr 2004 Marriage Notes for JAMES STOKES and SARAH UNKNOWN: _STATMARRIED ii. SIMON PETER STOKES, b. 1845, Near Greensboro, Greene Co., AL; d. 1867, Greensboro, Hale Co., AL; m. MARGARET IDOM; b. 1846, Greene Co., AL; d. 20 May 1924, Scott Co., MS. Notes for SIMON PETER STOKES: Nickname:<NICK> Bud More About SIMON PETER STOKES: Burial: Stokes Cemetery Greensboro Hale, Co., AL Record Change: 30 Oct 2003 More About MARGARET IDOM: Record Change: 30 Oct 2003 Marriage Notes for SIMON STOKES and MARGARET IDOM: _STATMARRIED Endnotes 1. Navarro County Texas Marriages 1889-1899 Volume II, 108. 2. Obituary - Died at P. & S. Hospital Eureka Hospital, Eureka Texas. 3. Admission papers for Corsicana Boys Home Filled out by Lorene Flanagan McCarter.
derkswehlaadded this on 6 Sep 2011
leehatch151originally submitted this to Crawford Family Tree on 12 Apr 2010
Header
Comments (0)
January 15, 2014 04:49AM
I have information on William McCarter on Fold 3 military documents that he did serve in the Rev. War, and he had a son James born in 1782, are there two William McCarters with a father named Moses and a son named James? Just wondering.
Kim
January 15, 2014 04:56AM
I am a McCarter descendant as well through Moses, then William, then James, then Thomas, then Isaac who married Mary Ann King and had Alpha Ellen McCarter, my great grandmother. That is my line and I was wondering if you have found any more information as to why the McCarters were so far away from the highland clans in mid 1700's? I am working on a historical fiction novel involving this family and I want the history to be as accurate as possible. Nice to meet another McCarter cousin.
Kim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login