Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

EMOND

Posted by maureen dickson 
EMOND
August 09, 2006 12:16AM
Looking for any information re family of
Isabel Emond b 15 Apr 1785, d:30 Apr 1828, married Andrew Brown 09 Mar 1810.
I have found an Isabel with father William/Willeam, married to Elspeth Emond or Euphan Emond or Helen Scoon

Andrew Brown and Isobel Emond had 3 children:
1. Jean b 21 May 1810 Selkirk
2. John b 13 May 1816 Selkirk
3. William b 13 May 1816 Selkirk (who married Ann Scott 06 Jun 1840) d 13 Jan 1878 The Green Selkirk

Children of William Brown and Anne Scott were:
1 James Brown b 09 Jun 1853 Edinburgh (M Annie Turnbull 17 May 1872) d 06 Sept 1913
2. ? John Lawson Brown ? (witness at James Brown/Annie Turnbull marriage)
3. William Brown (informant on death certificate.
Any information appreciated, Thanks.
Re: EMOND
January 01, 2007 03:02PM
Maureen,
Andrew Brown and Isabel Emond had more children
Jean b. 21 May 1810 Selkirk
Helen b. 26 June 1812 Selkirk
Andrew b. 6 June 1814 Selkirk
William and John b. 13 May 1816 Selkirk. John died young?
John b. 18 April 1818 Selkirk

Andrew Brown's ( Broun ) parents were probably Andrew Broun and Helen Moffat.
Andrew C. 29 April 1781 Selkirk

William Brown and Anne Scott also had more children

Margaret b. 24 Jan. 1857 Selkirk
Walter b. 20 June 1863 Selkirk

Morag Carter
January 02, 2007 05:08AM
Morag, Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! Have been looking for some info for over 20 years. What a lovely surprise for the start of the new year. One brick wall down, but still many more to come. Have a great 2007, and again thank you, from Down Under (ex Peebles, Leeds and Aberdeen) Maureen
January 03, 2007 03:02PM
Maureen,
Glad to have knocked a few bricks from that pesky wall.
Fortuitously Andrew Brown and Isobel Emond appear to be using the Scottish naming system for their children.
The IGIs will give you the children of Andrew Broun and Helen Moffat.
Isobel Emond's parents are likely to be a William or John Emond with a wife named Jean / Jane.
One of the twins William / John was almost certainly named for their maternal grandfather.
Three months ago we were 'down under' ourselves visiting our son who presently works in Sydney. We were very impressed with everything we saw.
All best wishes to you and yours for 2007
Morag
January 12, 2007 01:17PM
Thank you Morag, once again. This is such a great hobby, so frustrating most of the time, going round in circles, then a guardian angel pops up. I am very keen to research our Andrew, as he was named by Sir Walter Scott as "Ootrageous Broon" for putting his foot through the Tailors flag at the 1804 Selkirk Common Riding. I have lots of data about this, plus a photo from the late curator, Wattie Dobson, of the damagedd flag. Andrew B was charged with the repair, but this was subsequently done by Sir Walter's wife and daughters. This is the sweet meat on the bones that makes our obsession worthwhile! I will be in the UK, probably in 2008. My roots are Peebles, Leeds and Aberdeen, then came to Oz in 1967. Hope you had a Guid New Year, and lang may yer lum reek! Aand thanks again, Maureen
August 19, 2007 09:53AM
Further to the above replies I have recently transcribed all the cemeteries in Selkirk including the Auld Kirk in the Kirk Wynd, Brierylaw and nearly finished Shawpark.In the Auld Kirk is an Patrick Emond weaver died 7/8/1809 aged 70yrs his wife Agnes HEATLIE died 3/5/1775 aged 40 and children James Chisholm late Deacon of the Guilds died 8-4-1864 agd 84.
Also an Jannet Emond d. 1786 aged 63 wife of Adam Nicol.
A George W Emond died 1984 wifeof Mary Johnstone
Private William Emond died First World War (headstone gives his service no as 51377 HLI(highland Light Infintry) although war memorial shows KOSB Kings Own Scottish Borderers,(If you check the WAR GRAVES COMMISION web site you can get all the details and maybe photographs)
In Brierylaw there are numerous EMONDs -William/John Jessie Robert Isabella etc.
The CD for the Auld Kirk also has photographs of each headstone available through me at £10 plus postage.It is in Word and PDF form.
For specific queries just let me know.
Ps my mother was born in Innerleithen and my grandmother was a Ballantyne Walkerburn daugher and I am a souter now living in Melrose.
In an article written by the late parish minister in Selkirk he recorded familys moving abroad and includes a Mary Scott-at mills Hermitage St married to a R.EMOND to Australia in 1854.Could be one of yours.
If I can help
cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login