Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Orr/McKemmie

Posted by Judy Fletcher 
Orr/McKemmie
September 30, 2005 08:36AM
I'm looking for any information on John ORR and Janet McKemmie. they married 1831 Kilbarchan Have found most on Orr but Mckemmie evades me. Help.Judy Fletcher Sunny Tauranga NZ
Re: Orr/McKemmie
January 21, 2013 05:40AM
Hi Judy

Like you John Forbes Orr is my great grandfather. My grandfather was Peter Orr who as I understand was the youngest of their large family. How did your research of our great grandfather's parents go?

Last year we were in Scotland and visited Kilbarchan to view the fountain he donated to the village. The residence there told me most of the village of our great grandfather's day still remains. The houses which had the ground floor set up for working looms for making cloth, have now been converted into living quarters, but other than that they are still much the same. They have a historical house in the middle of the village with one of the old looms making tartan cloth still operating for the tourists. They said this would be exactly as it were in our great grandfather's day.

At the cemetery we came across an old head stone of a John Orr of Waterstone died 1750. Waterstone was a farming area about 3kms from the village. I rightly or wrongly assume that he was related to us?

Regards

Kelvin McAnulty

mcanulty@ihug.co.nz

09 2987650 (H) 021662662 (cell)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login