Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

HUNTER DAGON

Posted by Sara Dagon 
HUNTER DAGON
February 27, 2006 03:22PM
Searching for more information on our great, great grandmother:

Euphemia Hunter, born 12 Mar 1841, Christening 21 Mar 1841. Clackmannan
Parents: James Hunter, born 17 Mar 1816 & Janet Reid, born 1816 both in Clackmannan.

The next piece of documentation we have is Euphemia is married to
William Dagon, with a son:
John Dagon born 1 Oct 1862 in Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio, USA
They then moved to Illinois, had a total of 13 children, 11 boys.

Does anyone have information on Euphemia Hunter Dagon between her birth in 1841 and 1862?
Re: HUNTER DAGON
March 01, 2006 03:32AM
Hi, Sara,
You probably have the info but I have James Hunter's ancestors. If you need any info, just say!
Rosemary

Researching: HOGGAN, LOGAN, COOK, HUNTER, SNADDON
March 01, 2006 02:26PM
Hi Rosemary,
Thank you. I have James Hunter ancestors back to George Hunter born 1583. Do you have info prior to 1583?
March 30, 2006 07:11AM
You are a lot further back than I! I only go back to David Hunter b. 1740 married to Christian Penman. Do you have any information on Snaddons married to Hunters?
March 30, 2006 04:18PM
The only Hunter I have married to a Snadon is:
James William Hunter married Mary Snadon on 13 May 1813, Alloa, Clackmannan. James Wm Hunter born 3 Aug 1794, Newtonshaw, Clackmannan, died 27 Jan 1861, Cedar City, Iron Co., Utah

David Hunter married Christine Penmann 6 Sept 1765, Clackmannan
David Hunter was the son of James Hunter, born 25 Apr 1696, Clackmannan,

James Hunter married Margaret Hunter 2 May 1720, Clackmannan
James Hunter was the son of George hunter, born abt 1665, Clackmannan,

George hunter married Isobel Adamson 29 Apr 1687, alloa, Clackmannan,
George hunter was the son of James Hunter, born 4 May 1642, Clackmannan,

James Hunter married Jeanett Paterson 17 Nov 1664, Alloa, Clackmannan,
James Hunter was the son of Alexander Hunter, born 19 Nov 1609

Alexander Hunter married Catherine Wardlaw
Alexander Hunter was the son of George Hunter born abt 1583, Clackmannan

George Hunter married Grisel Pearsall abt 1608

This is all I have to date. Please let me know if you have further information.
February 17, 2011 04:54AM
There is a real mystery surrounding the name of James Hunter and the James William Hunter who died in Cedar City on 8 October 1862 (according to Cedar City Death Records). Quite frankly I am at a stage where I am waiting to see if someone can track down a copy of William Hunter's Death Certificate as this may throw some new light on to his name/parentage. Joseph Hunter (1818) states in his Day Book that his father was William Hunter, and in turn his parents were James Hunter (1773-1835) and Marion Paterson (1773 - 1794). Joseph's tombstone has William and Mary Sneddon as his parents (who are recorded in the Cedar City Cemetery records as follows: Hunter, James William b 3 Aug 1794, d 8 Oct 1862, and Hunter, Mary Snaden b 11 Mar 1831 (Alloa records her birth as 14/3/1790), d 27 Jan 1861).
The fact is James and Marion had only one son who was born 3 Sept 1794 and Baptised on 7 Sept as James Hunter. I have all these records posted on my Ancestry tree. I have gone back through the Hunter line and there has never been a "William" on the paternal side, so it makes no sense to name the eldest son William by Scottish tradition. Since his mother died shortly after his birth there is a possibility he was raised by Marion's parents whose father was named William. James' (1794) father (James 1773) remarried 3 months after he was born to Susan Gillespie. James' father died in 1835, and his stepmother lived in the Midlothians in Newbattle where she died a pauper. I have no idea if she had a hand in his upbringing. James had a half brother also named James born in 1799. This James also married a Sneddon (Janet). Given the discrepancy in birthdates between James and William and their names I am still inclined to believe James and James William are two different but related people. What the connection is and if/or why he changed his name or came into the family from some calamity of some sort I have no idea, Confused? I certainly am.
My mother's side has Sneddons and Hunters galore, and I would be happy to find out more of Euphemia if you are still interested.
Best wishes, Alex.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login