Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

james campbell/adelaide campbell

Posted by gill tyndall 
james campbell/adelaide campbell
May 01, 2006 03:34AM
james and adelaide(maiden name unknown) campbell with at least 2 children -Maryanne and Eliza , migrated to Tasmania in 1832 from Liverpool on "Hibernia" which sank mid Atlantic!!! We do not know their birth dates; marriage date; Adelaide's country of birth which may be France or Belgium as the family legend gives her name as sounding like Van Syke.

James possibly was a soldier in the Napoleonic Wars.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Re: james campbell/adelaide campbell
June 27, 2011 04:10PM
Hi Gill,
This is probably 5 years too late but James and Adelaide are relatives of mine also. As far as I know Adelaide's maiden name was Vansek before she married James, however she may have been married twice before to other soldiers (who may have been killed, possibly a Connor and O'Brien), she was born around 1801 and died about 1853. James was born around 1760 in Campbeltown, Argylshire, Scotland, his parents may have been John Campbell and Jean McMillan both born in Campbeltown in 1732 and 1736 respectively. James was about 70 when the Hibernia went down, they arrived in Tasmania on the brig 'Adelaide' from Rio. If you have found anything more on this family I would be grateful for any additional information.
Isaac.
August 15, 2011 01:26AM
I am a descendent of James and Adelaide whose family name was listed as 'Van Sek' on Harriet Campbell's birth registration in Hobart.

She was previously married till William O'Brien of the Meath Militia who died in 1820 and she later married a Mr Connor before marrying James Campbell, date unknown. I have obtained proof of this from both Tasmania and Ireland.

Please note that John Campbell and Jean McMillan were NOT James Campbell's parents. This has been confirmed by an experienced researcher in Tasmania who found 9 James Campbell's born around that time. He could not read or write (from memory evidenced by Harriet's birth registration which records his 'mark') so there is reason to wonder if his age was correctly recorded on his death certificate. I am aware of websites on Ancestry.com that purport these people as his parents but they are incorrect. It is also incorrect that William Reynolds, husband of Eliza Campbell, was born in Beadwinch etc. William was a convict from Birmingham and died in Hobart. He's buried with his second wife, Jane Kinder at Cornelian Bay. All easily traced. I am a descendent of W and E.

There are a lot of 'myths' floating around various branches of the Campbell family of descendents and another is that James was supposed to be in the English Army in India. The reference to Napoleonic Wars adds to these stories! No proof has been found yet of any army connections.

Can I ask from whom you are descended?

Best wishes,
August 15, 2011 01:29AM
am a descendent of James and Adelaide whose family name was listed as 'Van Sek' on Harriet Campbell's birth registration in Hobart.

She was previously married till William O'Brien of the Meath Militia who died in 1820 and she later married a Mr Connor before marrying James Campbell, date unknown. I have obtained proof of this from both Tasmania and Ireland.

Please note that John Campbell and Jean McMillan were NOT James Campbell's parents. This has been confirmed by an experienced researcher in Tasmania who found 9 James Campbell's born around that time. He could not read or write (from memory evidenced by Harriet's birth registration which records his 'mark') so there is reason to wonder if his age was correctly recorded on his death certificate. I am aware of websites on Ancestry.com that purport these people as his parents but they are incorrect. It is also incorrect that William Reynolds, husband of Eliza Campbell, was born in Beadwinch etc. William was a convict from Birmingham and died in Hobart. He's buried with his second wife, Jane Kinder at Cornelian Bay. All easily traced. I am a descendent of W and E.

There are a lot of 'myths' floating around various branches of the Campbell family of descendents and another is that James was supposed to be in the English Army in India. The reference to Napoleonic Wars adds to these stories! No proof has been found yet of any army connections.

Can I ask from whom you are descended?

Best wishes,
August 27, 2011 10:07PM
Hi Janette,

Thanks for the Information, I have limited funds to spend on my family research so I trawl through what I can for free which is often dubious at best. I have hit a wall with James, he is in news articles from the day regarding the sinking of the Hibernia but before that I can find nothing very strong about him or his family. I am descended from James and Adelaide's daughter Harriet who married James Lancaster, then their daughter Jane who married Edmund Brittain, followed by their son Stanley Brittain who married Phyllis Hawkes and my mother is their daughter Jill Brittain. I have a Czech friend who can trace his family back to the 14th century but I have trouble getting past 1800 but I guess that comes with being a 'mixed breed' of sorts. Thanks again for the help I will adjust my research, any more information you have about James or Adelaide would be much appreciated.

Regards Isaac.
February 07, 2015 04:30AM
Hello I too am a descendant of James & Adelaide Campbell. Robert is my great great grandfather & sylvester is my great grandfather and his daughter Elsie May was my grandmother. Would love to make contact with other descendants.
February 14, 2015 12:21PM
Hello. Do you mean you are descended from James and Adelaide Campbell's son Robert who married Ann Reid? If so I would very much like to make contact with you as we have not been able to find any trace of Robert and Ann after the death of their daughter. Can you please provide more information.

Best wishes
February 15, 2015 09:59AM
Hi again

Because of your posting I have re-checked my data and you have solved a family mystery for me - I've realised that for some years we were looking at the wrong Robert Campbell. Your Robert Campbell is the son of James and Adelaide and his wife was Rosanna McAdam. Thanks! Please get back to me!

Best wishes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login