Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Dean, Halley (Hulley)

Posted by boyfromthebog 
Dean, Halley (Hulley)
August 25, 2015 08:56PM
My paternal 2x grandparents lived and worked in Shelton (Hanley) SoT in the mid 1840's where my great-grandfather was born. There is evidence to support this in the 1841 census which shows them living in Brook Street. Their occupations are given as 'pottery painter' and 'pottery gilder'. I have information to support the marriage of Thomas Dean and Frances Halley (Hulley - could be either) in 1829. In 1851, it appears my great grandfather, son of Thomas and Frances, was lodging elsewhere in Hanley with his sister Elizabeth. There is no trace of Thomas and Frances after this point. I have found information concerning the theft of a sheep in Leicestershire and the subsequent deportation of a Thomas Dean to Van Diemans land in 1846. It is if course pure speculation and not something I have been able to prove, so far. If it were possible to link both Frances and Thomas to Van Diemans land, then I would feel more certain that it was a likely link. To add to the intigue, although the spelling of Hulley/Halley is debateable, I have found no trace whatsoever of Frances Hulley/Halley prior to her marriage to Thomas Dean. If anyone can help dispel this conumdrum, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Best Wishes,

Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login