Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Smith

Posted by Becci Thomas 
Smith
December 29, 2002 10:24PM
I am looking for information on the Joseph Smith family. Joseph was born on 23 Apr 1791 and married Margaret ? [b. 28 Jun 1795] about 1815. Their children were all born at Berwick-Upon-Tweed; Barbara b. 12 Apr 1816, Alexander b. 23 May 1818, Meary b. 6 Jul 1821 d. 24 Mar 1848, John b. 16 Feb 1823,Margaret b. 4 Sep 1826, Sarah Elizabeth b. 25 Apr 1829, Joseph b. 1 Feb 1832, James b. 5 Aug 1837, Robert b. 26 Jul 1842 d. 2 Jan 1853 and Marget b 18 Apr 1849 d. 25 Mar 1862.
Sarah and Joseph [Jr.] came to the United Stated in 1849. I don't think any other children came over.
This information that I have comes from Andrew J. Smith who was living at Moss Cottage, Cleandon, Sunderland in 1932. He copied it from the family bible that he had inherited from his Grandfather Joseph Smith and he sent it to Sarah Elizabeth's daughter Emma Kirkpatrick Lewis who was living in Dundy Co., NE in 1932.
I would love to connect with any decendents still living in the area.
Re: Smith
December 30, 2002 01:56PM
Hello Becci,
There was a marriage of a Joseph SMITH and a Margaret ANDERSON on July 9th.1815 at Tweedmouth.
Harry
[freespace.virgin.net]
December 30, 2002 05:00PM
Hello Harry,
Thank you so much for this response. I think that this could very well be correct for my Joseph Smith as this was 9 months almost to the day from the birth of the first child.
When checking out the Northumberland site I couldn't seem to find a good usable map to look at so I don't know when Tweedmouth is in comparason to Berwick-Upon-Tweed but,again I am assuming, that because of the names they must be close. I will find a map today and check this out.
Are there any other places that I could look, databases, etc., for more family information for that area? Would the marriage record mention the parents names? I had the LDS pick me up a record from another area several years ago and there were parents names.
Thank you for this very valuable info, I appreciate your time and effort.
Becci Bignell THomas
Alliance, Nebraska
December 30, 2002 05:20PM
Hello Becci,
If you go to the following URL, it will show you the parishes of Northumberland and at the top you will see that Berwick and Tweedmouth are adjacent:-
[www.swinhope.demon.co.uk]
Just hit on the name of the town and it will bring details of the area and the churches etc.
Harry
[freespace.virgin.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login