Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Casson of Lancashire

Posted by mcasson 
Casson of Lancashire
July 01, 2015 09:58PM
Hello - I am new to this site but have spent several years researching my husband's ancestral roots here in the United States and lately in Lancaster, Lancashire. The earliest know ancestor I have been able to discover is John Casson (abt 1770-1846) who married Mary Carr in Apr 1793 in St. Mary's Parish. They had a son, Robert (b. 1794), who was married to Agnes (maiden name has been noted as Harper or Harkgrith) and emmigrated from England to the US about 1833 along with his wife and his children at that time. To the best of my knowledge Robert had brothers John and James and also a sister Ellen Carr Casson who married a Richard Battersby. I do not know if any of the siblings also emmigrated to the US but I do not think so (esp. Ellen who died in England). Robert and Agnes had 7 children. John, the eldest, was b. in England abt 1818 and d. New Jersey, USA 1904. At the time of his death John Casson was considered to be the oldest railroad engineer in the United States. He is my husband's 3 x great-grandfather. If anyone else is researching this Casson family name I would be happy to compare notes and try to expand my research further into England. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login