Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Jackson

Posted by Edward Jackson 
Jackson
February 27, 2002 10:48PM
I am researching the Jackson family in Newfoundland Canada.My research tells me that by 1730's Jacksons arrived in Trepassey Newfoundland.(Then not part of Canada) representing merchant firms from Topsham(the port of Exeter)in the fishing industry.I have records of a James Jackson living in Trepassey around 1744.would anyone have any information or be able to suggest where I might look to find the connection between Topsham and Newfoundland and the Jacksons at that time.
Re: Jackson Devon/Newfoundland
November 02, 2014 02:52AM
12 years!!

I do hope you are still out there Edward, and that you are further along now!

I am also researching the JACKSON families in Devon, and in Newfoundland, But I haven't got as far back as James in 1744! I do have some direct ancestors called James JACKSON, so it just could be the same family.

I have a Dorothea Burgoyne JACKSON (1778 - 1782)
born 14 Jan 1778 at Trepassey, Newfoundland, Canada
bapt 25 Feb 1779 at Topsham, Devon, England
died 24 Jun 1782 at Topsham, Devon, England

Her parents are James JACKSON (born abt 1750, died after 1806), and Sarah MILLER (born abt 1750, died 1806, Topsham) They were married in Topsham, Devon in 1775.

James is listed as 'Merchant' on his Marriage Certificate, and the birth of Dorothea in Trepassey confirms his connection with the trade between Topsham and Newfoundland

However, I've been unable to find any information about him or his time in Newfoundland, and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I do have his later children, all born in Topsham, Devon, and the tree is quite leafy from them down!

Best wishes
Gene
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login