Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Weekes/Wickes Devonshire origins

Posted by wrenchmensch 
Weekes/Wickes Devonshire origins
August 08, 2011 08:33PM
I am pursuing anecdotal information which suggests that my Puritan ancestor, Thomas Weekes (DOB 1612), and his brothers George and Francis may have emigrated to America in 1635. Thomas left Gravesend on November 20, 1635, aboard the ship Expedition, Peter Blackler Master (Source: John Camden Hotten's Original Lists of Persons of Quality). George Weekes was thought to have emigrated to America in 1635 aboard another ship, accompanied by the Rev. Richard Mather.

Richard D. Weeks wrote genealogies of the families of George and Thomas Weekes. Weeks states that Devonshire was traditionally believe to have been the home county for George, and that George, Francis and Thomas Weekes were brothers.

The son of Thomas Weekes changed the last name to Wickes to differentiate the family from the Oyster Bay Weekes family. It has remained Wickes in succeeding generations.

Does anyone have any reliable genealogical information about the parents of Thomas Weekes in Devonshire? I am particularly interested in birth information about their son(s), and the location of the family in the family.

bobwickes@gmail.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login