Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

ritson

Posted by john ritson 
ritson
November 15, 2002 10:27PM
I am hoping to find a record of the marriage of my gx2 grandfather robert ritson born 1825 in dearham (re.1861 census) & ellen (eleanor) grigg born in dovenby 1826 (re.1861 census) There is a reference to winnah lamplugh on their sons birth cert. I think Winnah is a small hamlet. I live in Canada and can't get back any further. any help would be apprieciated.
Re: ritson
January 08, 2003 09:41PM
John,
Have you had a look at the Bishop's Transcripts for Dearham? Visit [www.reayw.freeserve.co.uk] There are lots of Ritsons in there. I've just had a quick look but can't find Robert in the 1825 records. There is a Joseph Ritson son of John and Jane baptised on 24th Sept 1825. Also, very strangely a Joseph Ritson infant buried two days earlier!? These records are well worth a visit. The Ritsons in Dearham go back to 1664 "November 27th was John ye sonne of Robert Ritson baptized".
Hope this was useful.
Mick Wren (descendant of the Dearham Wrens)
PS There are some pictures of Dearham on my website [freepages.family.rootsweb.com]
Re: ritson
January 09, 2003 01:06AM
Thanks for the e-mail Mike. I have searched the Bishop's Transcripts for Dearham & most other avenues. I was given help by Dave Banks from Cumberland who found my g.g.grandfather Robert Ritson on the 1841 census as a 16 y.o. servant to a farmer in Dovenby. He also found a record of the christening of Robert & his wife Eleanor(Grigg) first child Elizabeth in 1851 at Bridekirk but I can't find a record of their marriage or of eithers birth. Any suggestion from the members as to what I should do now would be apprieciated. Thanks again for the response John Ritson (Canada)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login