Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Batten

Batten
January 25, 2003 07:03PM
Hi....A crazy way to start, but have to start somewhere! I have no idea from what part of England our Batten's hail from ,but I do know that's where they immigrated to Newfoundland in the late 1700's - early 1800's...Apparently 3 Batten fellow's came to Newfoundland during this time and I have no idea if they were related. They were fishermen and the line I'm stuck with is an Isaac Batten married to Elizabeth Dawe. It's highly likely they met and married in NFLD. My concern is finding Isaac's parents which likely were the ones who immigrated to Canada. Whether Isaac was born in England or Canada I don't know. I do know that he and Elizabeth bought land in 1816 at Bareneed NFLD. They started their family 2 yrs later. Does anyone have Batten's that emmigrated to NFLD and have the family name of Isaac. The 3 Batten's earlier mentioned were a John , William and Samuel..and later a Thomas is mentioned. The name Isaac came later so I am hoping it is a common passed down family name that may connect with some Batten's somewhere in England. Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Ann { MAcDonald } Batten
Re: Batten
September 12, 2011 04:33PM
I am looking for information on this family as well. My father is Isaac Batten (1953) married to Bridget Lynn Roberts, and they currently live in Glace Bay, NS. His father is Isaac Batten married to Mary Kelly, and they lived in Glace Bay, NS. His father was also Isaac Batten, who live in Newfoundland, but came to Glace Bay and married Catherine Healy (who was also from NFLD). His father was Joseph Batten (1858) from Bareneed, NFLD, and his father was Isaac Batten who married Elizabeth Dawe. I am looking for any information you may have come across over the years. Thank you.

Jaclyn
October 14, 2011 07:22PM
Hi Jaclyn

Sounds like we might have relatives in common. My family are the Battens of Clarke's Beach, NFLD. My father is Herbert Batten (1953). His father was Arthur Batten and his father was Issac Batten (but I have written down that he was married to Jesse Snow - remarried?). I recall being told of a Joseph being Issac's father. Do you think your grandfather and mine were brothers?
October 21, 2011 03:12PM
We just may have. Here is the line I have so far:

Isaac Batten III (1953 - )

son of

Isaac Batten II ( - 1991) and Mary Kelly (1919 - 2004)

son of

Isaac Batten (1884 - 1890) and Catherine Haley ( 1892 - 1981)

son of

Joseph Batten (1858 - 1941) and Emmeline Patience Richards ( 1862 - 1947)

Joseph Richards helped build St. Barbabus Church in Flower's Cove in 1919. The church was commissisoned by Emmeline's brother Rev. J.T. Richards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login