Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Prowell

Posted by Darlene Prowell 
Prowell
January 13, 2003 12:34AM
About 1700-1705 James Prowell and wife Mary came to America and settled in the Welsh Tract of Chester County, Pennsylvania. I do not know what county in Wales they came from, or exactly who they came with. It has been said in our family that they came with the quakers, but I cannot find any record of this. How would the name Prowell be spelled in Welsh? Any information would be very gratefully appreicated.
Re: Prowell
January 13, 2003 06:56PM
given how long ago it was that your family moved from Wales, it is likely that the name is a derivation of Ap Rowell, meaning son of Rowell. This was used in the same way as "Stephen-son" or any other English name ending in "son". Price, for instance, comes from "Ap Rhys or Ap Rees". Many people who could not write had their names "Anglicised" - put into English!
Can't help you with the area, but I thought you might find the above interesting.
regards
Linda
Re: Prowell
July 18, 2014 05:52PM
Would you have any assistance that you can help me with. I just got to where James Prowell was born in Wales. Thank you for your anticipated Cooperation.

Ken Yinger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login