Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Bailey and Elliot

Posted by bevbay 
Bailey and Elliot
June 22, 2010 04:47AM
I am trying to locate details of ARTHUR BAILEY born 27 June 1819. He went to the Falkland Islands and married Maria-Louisa Lovelidge in Bedford England. His wife died soon after the deathe of their second daughter Agnes aged 4 weeks. He later married Elizabeth Horrocks.His daughter MADALEINE JANE (by his first wife), married a G H ELLIOT. I have documentation for his first marriage. His daughter Madaleine I think was married in Stanley - not yet able to locate marriage certificate.

Please see an enrty from David Tatham's book

Published 2008 , The Dictionary of Falkland Islands Biography (Tatham)
• ARTHUR BAILEY (1819-1833)
Surveyor. Arthur Bailey was born in Bedford on 27 June 1819, the son of Charles Bailey and Anne, and christened at St Marys Bedford on 23 July. He served on the Ordnance Survey of England under Captain Colby RE 1835-1841. In 1841 he was appointed assistant surveyor to the expedition sent to New Zealand under Mr Ligaer and served in that post until 1848. He was then appointed surveyor general of the Falkland Islands at a salary of 350 pounds and probably arrived with Governor Rennie on the transport Nautilis in June 1848. A minute from Rennie dated 27 October 1948 expresses disappointment at his inability to construct roads and buildings. In reply Bailey blamed the poor quality of workmen in the colony.
In the Falklands census of 1851 he is described as married with two children. His wife was Marie-Louise (also spelt Louisa) nee Lovelige and they had two daughters Madelaine Jane (b1848) and Agnes who died aged 4 weeks on 24 October 1850. His wife died about two weeks later on 5 November. A despatch from Governor Rennie in 1851 noted that Bailey and his daughter were desolate and he was sent on one years leave. He married again on 7 April 1868 to Elizabeth, formerly Horrocks. They had seven children in the Falklands, all except three of whom seem to have died in infancy, although the records are not entirely clear. Elizabeth herself died in 1877, aged only 25.
Governor Moore suspended Bailey for discharging a pistol in the settlement and for insulting conduct, but this incident does not appear to have harmed his career. In Jul 1859 Bailey accompanied the colonial secretary James Longden on a tour of the North Camp counting cattle - the reckoned that about 6,000 wild cattle remained and commented:' the cattle are increasing again gast and there is abundance of pasture especially in the districts which have been chiefly seats of operations of Mr Lafone and the Company'. In 1861 Moore instructed him to use his authority as JP to sort out a dispute between the lessees of New Island and the captain of a French brig who was illegally slaughtering penguins. The surveyor post was closed in 1873 and Bailey was appointed coroner, registrar general and receiver of wrecks in 1875 and police magistrate in 1878. He administered the government during Governor Callaghan's leave in 1878. His term was not a success: on his return Callaaghan wrote" I found that a decided reaction had set in against the recent policy of the government, and this I fear greatly owing to Mr Bailey, who from his long residence here has become too subject to local influences to be able to withstand the strong pressure put upon him:'. In July 1879 Callaghan told the Colonial Office that he was unwilling to devolve government on Bailey again.
He died on 14 September 1883 and was buried in Stanley Cemetery as was both his wives and four or five of his nine children. In a despatch Governor Kerr noted his death, after a short illness, adding "Mr Bailey was a very old and meritorious public officer of this Colony'.
Despite his personal sorrows, he had indeed provided experience and continuity to the infant colony though he had failed to rise to the occasion when he acted as Governor.
Written by David Tatham

Bev Bailey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 10:23AM by bevbay.
Re: Bailey and Elliot
June 23, 2011 11:59AM
Hello all

I have read your posts with grear interest, i live in the uk and my dad and grandmother were born in the Falklands, my gt grandfather was Frederick Newman he arrived on the island about 1879/1880 and married and had 24 children. I have a very extensive family tree, i am also doing a one name study of the falkland islands and all the people who lived there, if any of you can help i would love to hear from you. My email address is evegene1956@yahoo.com

Thank you

Yvonne
June 27, 2011 11:53AM
The person Arthur Bailey, had previous to landing in The Falkland Islands, had lived in New Zealand from the early 1840s.
He had lived with a young Irish woman called Healy and had a son and daughter with her while he was a surveyor in the newly
established Auckland town. His son Charles Bailey was my GGG Grandfather. Arthur left his family in Auckland to pursue
his career and other wives. He spent his later years in the position of Surveyors General and also filled in as Magistrate in
Stanley for a short time.

Terry
September 15, 2011 06:55PM
Hello,

I'm not involved in geneolgy, but a lunchtime google search for information about my grandfather brought me to this site.

My grandfather's name was Arthur Joseph Bailey, and his WWI enlistment papers show that he was born in the Falkland Islands on July 1st, 1873. I never knew my grandfather as he died sometime around 1920, according to to my father due to health complications resulting from exposure to gas during the war.

My father, Arthur Stanley Bailey, was born in Duncan, on Vancouver Island, in British Columbia, Canada, and grew up on my grandfather's farm outside of Duncan.

We have very little information about our relatives or ancestors outside of Canada, so if the above information is of any interest to you, or if you could tell me more about possible ancestors or current relatives in the Falkland Islands, please contact me at stan.bailey@shaw.ca.

Thanks
September 09, 2012 01:15AM
Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply. I have located info on Christina Healey and Arthur's children. Have been unable to locate marriage or birth certificates. Was Arthur not married to Christina? I have found an entry showing that Christina married a Samuel Teague, shown on a Public Family Tree as being an assistant surveyor to Arthur Bailey. Do you know of this?

Have neglected the Bailey/Elliot tree but my husband (this is his tree!) is now showing interest so off we go again.

Cheers

Bev
March 11, 2013 03:55AM
Hi Bev
Arthur Bailey is my GGGG Grandfather on my dad's side - hence me still being a Bailey :-). He was christened Arthur Healey/Hely?? in New Zealand. He later changed his name to Bailey. Christina and Arthur were never married - in fact he may already have been married and his wife although starting the journey with him, returned to England - or she died?? Ther is record off a Mrs Bailey gettign to Cape Town but not coming on to NZ with him.
Would appreciate any further info people have on him
Cheers
Jane
August 28, 2013 09:22PM
Hi Jane,
I am amazed at the information on the WEB. Arthur Bailey (1819 - 1833) was my great grandfather. It does get very confusing as there are now many Arthurs. My dad was Arthur Stanley Bailey, my grandfather Arthur Joseph Bailey and my g grandfather Arthur Bailey (1819), his father was Charles and his mother was Anne. I have not yet discovered much on them yet. Now I hear that there was a sibling Arthur (Healey) Bailey. I am now working on the Bailey side of our tree so this information is very interesting.

If we can exchange any information at all it would be great. Thanks,

Leslie
October 30, 2013 11:20PM
Hi Terry

Thank you for you info on Arthur Bailey. I have since found out a little more on his life in New Zealand and the family of his children, Elizabeth and Charles.

If you would like to contact me outside this forum my email is: brubai46@tpg.com.au. My husband is the gggrandson of Arthur.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers

Bev
October 30, 2013 11:27PM
Hi Stan

Apologies for my tardy reply. If you would like further info my husband would be glad to email you the Bailey/Elliot tree. We have just come back from England and whilst there we visited Bedford the birthplace of our Baileys. I was aware of the Canadian branch but have only researched that line this year. I believe your relative lived with three BAILEY brothers in BC. In the 1911 (I think) his relationship was given as 'Uncle'

Would be pleased to correspond further. My email is: brubai46@tpg.com.au

Cheers

Bev Bailey
October 30, 2013 11:32PM
Hi

I have researched the BAILEY/Elliot family for some years on and off. If you would like, my husband can email you the Bailey Tree from Charles BAILEY B 1775 in Bedford to current members.

Arthur BAILEY (surveyor) apparently met Christina HEALY on the boat to NZ. He did not marry her and Christine married Samuel Teague. Arthur then married Maria LOVELIDGE in Bedford. HIs daughter Madaline is my husband's great grandmother.

My email is brubai46@tpg.com.au.

Would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Bev
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login