Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Morrisons - Pabbay/Harris SCT to Falkland Islands

Posted by Leanne Morrison 
Morrisons - Pabbay/Harris SCT to Falkland Islands
February 23, 2008 08:45AM
Hi, I am trying to trace my husband’s family tree, beginning with his father Angus Morrison b.1/3/1916 in the Falkland Islands.
Father - Kenneth Morrison
Mother - Violet Wilhelmina Middleton
Father’s occupation – Shepherd
Parents residence – North Arm, Falkland Islands.
On Angus’ baptismal certificate (Dec 7, 1917) the parent’s residence is “Hope Cottage”, Lafonia, Falkland Islands. He was baptised in the Cathedral Church

Angus and many of his family moved to Ayrshire in Scotland to sign up for WW2.

I am also curious as to when and on what ship the Morrison’s emigrated to the Falklands and why. I believe the family came from around the island of Pabbay in the Hebrides.
I would also like to try and find out more information about Kenneth Morrison and Violet Middleton and their family histories.

I hope someone can help me
Kind regards
Leanne
Re: Morrisons - Pabbay/Harris SCT to Falkland Islands
February 20, 2009 10:30PM
Hello,
I've been compiling my family tree for a number of years.There is a Morrison family related through marriage which looks like
Morrison's you are looking for.
Hector Morrison b c1800 St Kilda married Unknown
Finlay Morrison b 1832 Pabbay married Mary MacInnes b 1830's Kyles Scalpay (Finlay is Hector's son)
Finlay and Mary's family where:-
Salvia, Anne, Mary, Dolina and Kenneth. All five siblings were born on Croft 38,Isle of Scalpay.
Kenneth was I believe born c1865 and emigrated to Falkland Islands.
Kenneth's uncle Ewen Morrison along with his family moved from Scalpay to the Falklands in the 1880's,Was nephew Kenneth included in this group? Ewen and family returned to Scalpay after 20 odd years.Donald Morrison (Ewen's son) married and remained on the Falklands and descendants still live there.
Hope this helps.
Leanne

I am currently tracing my grandmother's family tree and came across your post. I have a newspaper clipping from my grandmother's parents' wedding. Their names are Arthur Earle and Margaret Morrison. They were married on 4th June 1919 in the Cathedral Church. The clipping confirms that Maragret's parents were a Mr and Mrs Morrison of Hope Cottage. Anecdotally, I think Margaret was the eighth child of ten, with Angus being the first. I am only just beginning to trace the family and I would be extremely interested to hear about how your research into the family trees of Kenneth and Violet Morrison went and whether you were able to confirm the connections back to Scalpay, Pabbay and St Kilda. Any information you are able to provide to give me a head start would be fantastic.

Many thanks
May 31, 2011 09:05PM
hi. jody i am the grandson of of the morrisons of hope cottage and am certain margaret was my aunt, so they must have came back to uk with family, met her a few times , and if i remember correctly, lived in cheltenham, any questions.about family, please ask regards, angus morrison
June 01, 2011 12:20AM
bye the way jodi ,kenneth and violet morrison had 10 children, my father was one so, if you are interested, ican give you more information regards angus
June 12, 2011 04:38PM
Hi

I am the daughter of Audrey Morrison, daugther of Finlay Morrison and Frances (Sarney). Finlay was the son of Kenneth Morrison and Violet (Middleton) who lived in Hope Cottage. Therefore your Father must be my Great Uncle.

My mother Audrey Morrison came back to the UK in about 1956 and married Michael Poole and settled down in Gloucestershire. Her parents Finlay Morrison (your Father's brother) and Frances (Sarney) came back over to the UK in the early 60s and lived in Tibberton, Gloucestershire (near Cheltenham). Are these the people you recall visiting?

My mother's sister Eileen Morrison moved to the UK in 1949 and married Christopher Minchin. She also settled near Cheltenham in a village called Cranham.

We still live in Gloucestershire and are currently tracing the Morrison side of our family tree. Not an easy task - as they moved around quite a lot!

We would love to have some more details about your family and where they all are now! My email address is mandy_poole@hotmail.com.
June 23, 2011 11:59AM
Hello all

I have read your posts with grear interest, i live in the uk and my dad and grandmother were born in the Falklands, my gt grandfather was Frederick Newman he arrived on the island about 1879/1880 and married and had 24 children. I have a very extensive family tree, i am also doing a one name study of the falkland islands and all the people who lived there, if any of you can help i would love to hear from you. My email address is evegene1956@yahoo.com

Thank you

Yvonne
May 10, 2012 04:12PM
Ewan MORRISON, a shepherd from Isle of Harris, his wife & 5 children were passengers on the "Neva", leaving England August 1874
September 03, 2012 11:57AM
is it known if kenneth morrison went with ewen in 1874 a morrison
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login