Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Archibald "Guilleasbuig" Gillis from Cliad, Isle of Barra

Posted by John Gillis 
Archibald "Guilleasbuig" Gillis from Cliad, Isle of Barra
April 18, 2006 06:32PM
Archibald Gillis emigrated to Nova Scotia in about 1832 from the Isle Of Barra.
He left with his wife, Anna MacDougall and 9 or 10 children (Anna, Anna, Ciorsdan "Christine", Mairead "Margaret", Mairead "Margaret", Mor "Sarah or Sally", Ian "John", Peadair "Peter", Eoin Dubh "Black Sean" & Labhruinn "Larry".
We are able to follow the line in Canada but have been unable to find anything in the Hebrides.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
John Gillis (direct descendant)
Re: Archibald "Guilleasbuig" Gillis from Cliad, Isle of Barra
June 06, 2006 12:42PM
Hi, Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is a great site and not too expensive. You will most likely find them in Births & Baptisms 1553-1854 under old parishes for County of Inverness. I have found a lot of information here at a reasonable cost. Credits online £6.00 british pounds for 30 credits. On average I have used 6 - 10 credits per person which works out at £2.00. Only thing is that it runs on hrs and if your time runs out then you have to top up again but you don't lose the money alread paid. Definitely worth £6.00 to try it out. Good Luck, Anne
Re: Archibald "Guilleasbuig" Gillis from Cliad, Isle of Barra
January 05, 2007 12:10AM
Hello John,

I found this posting "by accident" just surfing on the web. I am also a direct descendant of Archibald "Guilleasbuig" Gillis (he is my great-great-great- grandfather). I grew up not far from the area in Nova Scotia where they settled. About 10 years ago I visited Cliad to see where they had come from.

I'm also interested in finding out more info regarding the family in the Hebrides. Have you found anythng yet?

Lucy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login