Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

John Alexander Stevenson d. 1973 in Stirling

Posted by Jean Coker 
John Alexander Stevenson d. 1973 in Stirling
September 20, 2009 11:23AM
I have found information on a cousin, John Alexander Stevenson (born 25 Mar 1903 in Pitsligo, Aberdeen) , who died in 1973 in Stirling, according to the new death records on Scotland's people, but his death certificate is not available online. I'm trying to determine if he was married (I can't find a marriage for him in ScotlandsPeople) and who his next of kin are.

Are there any Stirling newspapers which would have obituary notices? If so, would someone be able to send me the link to the newspaper or, if you are local, is there anyone who could do a lookup for me?

Many thanks.
Jean Coker
Jacksonville, Florida
Dear Ms. Coker,
I only saw this now, but wanted to respond to your inquiry. I am John Alexander Stevenson's granddaughter. I can probably provide you with some of the information you requested. He married a woman named Cecilia Ruth Prettyman. I'm not sure if that's her maiden name. He was living in Ottawa at the time, chief Parliamentary Correspondent for the London Times. They had four children: Kerr, Ian, Ronald and Edith. The latter two were fraternal twins. The older ones, Kerr and Ian both became physicians. Kerr White, my father, is the only one still living. He is 94, going on 95, as I write this. He lives in Charlottesville, Virginia. He changed his name from Stevenson to Lachlan-White at the age of 21 in order to inherit an estate in England that belonged to a relative of his mothers's named Joseph Lachlan-White. When "Uncle Joseph" died, he left this estate to my father, Kerr Stevenson on condition that he change his name to "Kerr Lachlan-White." Thus, I am Margot Lachlan-White.

I don't know about obituary notices for my grandfather. I have a lot of his papers and articles, but not his obituary. I only know that he read law at Merton College, Oxford and then became head of the Ottawa bureau of the London Times for many years. He and my grandmother eventually divorced. The youngest son, Ronald, died may years ago in a psychiatric institution; Ian died in 2007, having become quite well known internationally for his research on reincarnation; Edith died in 2010 and, as I said, my father is still living. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but if you have more questions, you can certainly email me. margotwhite@earthlink.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login