Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

McGlashan. Alves.Lauder.Glendinning

Posted by jane 
McGlashan. Alves.Lauder.Glendinning
November 30, 2001 06:35PM
Looking to hear from anyone who might be connected
to these names.Areas are Temple,Gorebridge,
Ettrick,Selkirk mainly but also surrounding area.
E-mail mcglashan55@hotmail.com
Jane
Re: McGlashan. Alves.Lauder.Glendinning
September 05, 2005 03:42PM
Hello Jane,My grandmothers middle name was Alves. She was born in Carrington and stayed in Easthouses, Dalkeith. I have recently been tracing my family tree and Alves is the easiest name to trace. My greatgrandmothers name was Mary Jane Alves of Temple. Traced back Alves to 1736. In Temple graveyard my gggggrandfathers grave along side his wife Janet Todd.He was a shepherd on the Moorfoot Hills as was his son James who is buried with him. What information for Alves do you have on this area? Louise from Dalkeith.
September 06, 2005 12:14AM
Hi Louise.
The Alves I have are related by marriage,
Archibald Alves married Elizabeth C.McGlashan, his parents were Alexander Alves and Janet Tod
Archie and Elizabeth married in Temple 1868.
They had five children,Alexander,Donald Campbell,
Jessie McVicar, George, and Andrewina Mary Blair.
I also know who the children married,after that nothing. Did they have children are their descendents still in the area and so on.
My Mcglashan's lived in Temple and surrounding area, I believe some still live in area.
They also lived at Harveston Toll,my mother was evacuated there during the war. Pretty little cottage, cannot remember the name of the road it was on.
Anyway I will be visiting Scotland again in Jan or Feb next year, and hoping to find more info on the Alves and McGlashan from that area hopefully.
Jane from Texas.
September 23, 2005 04:41PM
Hi Jane,Sorry about the delay to be honest i have been in shock!I have only been tracing my family tree for about 6 or 7 months.Archibald Alves would have been my great great uncle as my great great grandmother was his brother. Alexander and Janet Tod(d)had 11 children who were. George (born 1848)emigrated to New Zealand, William (born 1850), Jane (born 1852)died young, James(born 1854)had 2 sons, both killed in WW1 and a daughter. Euphemia(born 1856) married a Hunter and had 2 children. Alexander(born 1859), Catherine Todd Alves(born 1861)died 1866, Helen Tod Alves(born 1862)my great great granny, John Ritchie(born 1866) died 1947, Archibald(born 1868), and Janet(born 1871) married an unknown Ramsay. Still in a state of shock that someone is tracing the same family tree. Do you know how many children Helen Tod Alves who married Donald Stewart Colthart on 12/12/1890 had? as i only know about my great granny, who was called Mary Jane Colthart. I do not know of any living ALVES in this area. hope to hear from you soon, Your distant cousin LOUISE FROM DALKEITH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login