Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project Logo

Advanced

Smith

Posted by Tracy Smith 
Smith
July 20, 2001 08:18PM
My grandfather George Smith was born in Pumpherston Scotland 10Sep1897.I have been unable to determine if Pumpherston is in East/Mid or West Lothian ..pls advise.All mail Ive sent to Pumpherston has been returned unknown.but I know it exists..many thanks..Tracy
Re: Smith
July 20, 2001 09:54PM
Tracy,
I have looked at the lists of parishes (from GenUKI's website) in both Midlothian and West Lothian and I don't see Pumpherston mentioned as a parish. It is possible that it's a very small village within a parish. If it was from an earlier date, I would recommend that you look at the Statistical Accounts of Scotland that show where parishes were combined or became defunct, but the latest one of those was done in 1841. I will look on my detailed map of East Lothian, as well as in my UK atlas and let you know if I come up with anything.
July 20, 2001 10:02PM
Tracy, I found it! I should've waited to post until after I looked at the map, but I wanted to get some messages up on this new board! winking smiley
Pumpherston is a town in West Lothian just west of Livingston. It is right off the M8 by exit 3 and just north of Mid Calder. I'm not sure what parish boundaries it lies in, but you might take a look at both the West Lothian (Linlithgowshire) GenWeb project as well as the West Lothian GenUKI site for more info.
October 14, 2005 03:33PM
Tracy i would like to inform you Pumpherston is in West Lothian it is a little village outside Livingston
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login